glossing on gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am about to paint my hall it has been glossed do i need to sand down undercoat then gloss again or can i just gloss straight onto of the original gloss

Sponsored Links
You certainly can.

If your glosswork is in good enough condition, gently, use a fine 400 grit wet'n'dry sandpaper, whilst washing down with a light solution of sugar soap and sponge clean.

Apply either Dulux Once or Crown Solo gloss, pouring a small amount out of your original tin (replace the lid) into a clean working tin.

They're both self undercoating.

Id rather use undercoat myself as the 'Growl' says though...rub it down anyway.

Undercoat adheres differently to self undercoating gloss...allthough it should be ok if you wan to cut down on a coat of paint and save time.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought 'here we go again'...

The debate will rage on ... the pros and cons etc..

All i'll say in answer to the question is 'if you want'

Id rather use undercoat myself as the 'Growl' says though...rub it down anyway.

Undercoat adheres differently to self undercoating gloss...allthough it should be ok if you wan to cut down on a coat of paint and save time.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I thought 'here we go again'...

The debate will rage on ... the pros and cons etc..

Myself..no id never use it..I dont like it...but its ok and can serve a pourpose.

So, ll i'll say in answer to the question is 'if you want'

Sponsored Links
Growler said:
You certainly can.

If your glosswork is in good enough condition, gently, use a fine 400 grit wet'n'dry sandpaper, whilst washing down with a light solution of sugar soap and sponge clean.

Apply either Dulux Once or Crown Solo gloss, pouring a small amount out of your original tin (replace the lid) into a clean working tin.

They're both self undercoating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back