Glow Worm 15hxi roaring noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My recently installed unvented C/H system boiler occasionally produces a loud roaring noise on start up. This sometimes lasts a couple of seconds but usually remains until it shuts down.
The noise sounds to me as if the air/gas mixture is wrong, like we used to have on a bunsen burner back in schooldays.
Corgi installer has been called back twice and tells me that it's because there should be a temperature differential between inlet and outlet of at least 11 degrees and turned the boiler water temperature down.
It still does it.
I feel that he is feeding me B/S and doesn't know what to do about it.
What can I metaphorically beat him with?

Bernard

Sponsored Links
This is a condensing boiler therefore you should be looking for a temp dif of about 20C. Why did installer not commission boiler/system correctly first time?

temp dif is not obtained byjust turning water temp down :rolleyes:

Temp dif is controlled by setting the whole system up by balancing each radiator with the locksheild, but I do not think this would gas these symptoms.

Is he really CORGI? Has he an energy efficiency qualification to fit condensing boilers, has he registered this with CORGI, you should have had your certificate back within about 2 weeks of him registering it. Couldn't be registered without him holding energy efficiency cert.

Has he checked all gas pressures etc at meter and inlet of boiler. If hes adamant he has installed correctly then ask for a warranty call from Glow Worm!

I wonder if he knows what he is doing. As always there are CORGI installers and CORGI installers :evil:

He is currently Corgi registered. I have checked with their website.
I have not yet received Corgi certificate.
I don't have much faith in him as I had to sort the electrical wiring for him to enable the control system to work at all. To be fair, the pre-wired module on the hot water tank was incorrectly linked from the factory, but I don't think it should really be down to me to sort it. However it was the most expedient solution as we had been without hot water for 5 days.

That's really "by the way". Is his claim of the differential temperature valid?
It seems to me that when starting from cold, the would be no differential anyway.

I also have some other issues which I'll raise in a different thread.

Yes you do need a temp dif on any heating system to get the boiler running efficiently. As I said usually around 20C on a condensing boiler.

No at cold firing there will not be a dif but as water heats up this will be created by resistant in water circuits that he should have tried to set during commissioning.

Yes you must have a registration certificate.

If he's no good, call in glow worm your self under warranty, but be warned they may charge if no fault found with boiler

does CORGI website say he is energy efficiency qualified? He has 20 days from installation date to register your boiler so you should have had certificate within 5/6 weeks of installation.

I think you need to investigate him further. This should not be costing you anything or the inconvenience :eek:

Sponsored Links
The reason why he probably cannot solve the problem is that when he installed the boiler he should have checked the combustion ratio of the flue products.

They are usually factory set but I have had several Vaillant and a few Glowworms that have slowly crept out of range.

If he doesn't have a flue gas analyser blow him out and get someone who has to check the ratio.
The CO2 reading wants to be about 9% on these I think (or is that the Vaillant?) anyways the instructions will tell you all you need to know and how to adjust it which is a bit of a pig on the Glowworms I have to say.

Stan

Thanks for the interest.
Surely the differential, or lack of, would not cause the roaring noise?
Didn't know about Energy Efficiency Certificate and can't find any reference to it on the Corgi web-site.
I just wanted a bit of background knowledge so that I can argue with him as he's trying to fob me off.
I'll get the CO2 level checked. I've downloaded the manual so I've got the figures.

Thanks, Bernard

BernieL said:
I've downloaded the manual so I've got the figures.

Thanks, Bernard
You mean to tell me he never even left you the manual :!: Which incidentally has the Benchmark in the back :!: :!:
Bloody Cowboy springs to mind and NONE of my customers have had to wait more than 2 weeks for their Building control notice.
When you have a Sky system installed do you think its O.K to be left with NO infomation or manuals. If you dont think its O.K why didnt the alarm bells ring when your installer left you with nothing?

And I can tell you that incorrect mixtures can cause alot more than just roaring.

Stan

gas4you said:
Yes you do need a temp dif on any heating system to get the boiler running efficiently. As I said usually around 20C on a condensing boiler.

No at cold firing there will not be a dif but as water heats up this will be created by resistant in water circuits that he should have tried to set during commissioning.

Yes you must have a registration certificate.

If he's no good, call in glow worm your self under warranty, but be warned they may charge if no fault found with boiler

does CORGI website say he is energy efficiency qualified? He has 20 days from installation date to register your boiler so you should have had certificate within 5/6 weeks of installation.

I think you need to investigate him further. This should not be costing you anything or the inconvenience :eek:

why not just cut the lads nuts off on the advice of a poster :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

can only go on what is presented to us in the post. if he is genuine and doing his job properly then he should have no worries. You never know who the customer will call in after you have gone or a new home owner, so why not do the job right and sleep at night :)

Vaillant co2 is 9% case off NG or 10% case off LPG. add 0.2 % if case on.

As glow worm is based around Vaillant I would guess these would be approx the same

can only go on what is presented to us in the post. if he is genuine and doing his job properly then he should have no worries. You never know who the customer will call in after you have gone or a new home owner, so why not do the job right and sleep at night icon_smile.gif

cos when i worry who crawls over my job afterwards including CORGI inspectors PLURAL AT MY request them mebbe i couldn't

when i am asked to assasinate a mans character on the strength of a post on the internet balls

who gives a toss about EE its a total waste of money as is CORGI reg

happens to be the latest scam proscott and his cronies have thought up

wake up smell the coffee

this industry is gonna change BIG STYLE

so you and glazier just keep banging on standing on your cyber soapboxes and keep the pratts that persecute reg installers happy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
No-one told me anything except I must have Corgi registered installer by law. Naively I believed that this would be sufficient. I'm beginning to think that the law is an ass.

I'm beginning to think that the law is an ass.
welcome to the real world

when the likes of corgi and that muppet blair get off their respective asses and start chasing those that dont reg instead of hounding the ones that do

then MABYE we can get some respect on both sides back into this industry

until then it's just a money making scam for no 10 and the pratt thompson in basingstoke

at the end of the day you can only read everyones comments and advice You know how you have been treated and if you have got what you expected overall in your installation. I personnaly think you have been let down. But obviously others think differently.

I know how I treat my customers and thats why nearly all my work is on word of mouth recommendation.

each to his own :)

kevplumb said:
I'm beginning to think that the law is an ass.
welcome to the real world

when the likes of corgi and that muppet blair get off their respective asses and start chasing those that dont reg instead of hounding the ones that do

This I could not agree more with. This is my exact view of CORGI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back