Combustion Chamber Orange Flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Boiler Type: Glow Worm Ultimate 50 BF

This is the first winter we've been in our new house and as it's been very cold the last week or so, so we've had the boiler thermostat knob up on full. Occasionally, after it's been alight for a while, a loud roar can be heard from the boiler which is not normal. To stop the roar we've turned thermostat knob to 0, waited a few minutes and then whacked it back up to full. Quite often the roar can be heard again after a few minutes.

After the roaring noise and with the thermostat knob on 0 (i.e. no demand for heat/gas) I've removed the front case and noticed an orange flame from the rear of the combustion chamber area, no noise though just the flickering orange flame. Pressing the gas control button for a few seconds puts out the orange flame.

The boiler has been recently serviced and I'm going to call him back. Just wanted to know if any of this is dangerous, expensive to fix, and would really like to know what is causing the problem. If I had to guess I'd say the main gas injector was 'sticking' on slightly.

If you need any more info I'll be please to give it if I can.

Thanks for your help, Mark

Sponsored Links
Certainly needs looking at again asap. The pilot flame you describe should be a nice sharp blue colour, not orange.

If in doubt turn it off and don't use it.

Certainly needs looking at again asap. The pilot flame you describe should be a nice sharp blue colour, not orange.

It's not the pilot flame that's orange but something at the back of the combustion chamber - can't see exactly what though :(

Other than a damaged burner, or perhaps a piece of insulation dropped down on the burner I don't really know with being there :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a piece of the insulation at the back of the combustion chamber may have come away.

Thanks for the replies so far.

After a bit more investigation it seems that the orange flame is coming from behind the combustion chamber and not the chamber itself. Please note that when the orange flame is seen there is no demand for gas as the thermostat knob is set to off. Under normal working conditions when there is no demand for gas no flame (except for the pilot) can be seen - it's only after the noisy fault condition.

Thanks for the replies so far.

After a bit more investigation it seems that the orange flame is coming from behind the combustion chamber and not the chamber itself. Please note that when the orange flame is seen there is no demand for gas as the thermostat knob is set to off. Under normal working conditions when there is no demand for gas no flame (except for the pilot) can be seen - it's only after the noisy fault condition.

There should be no flame of any kind at anytime outside the combustion chamber. Turn it off until you get it checked :eek:

Okay the problem is all fixed. The multi-functionional control unit was changed and the problem has not reappeared. We were without C/H for two of the coldest nights of this winter (-11 and -10) but luckily we had an open fire in the living room to keep the chill off!

Thanks to everyone that replied

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back