Glow worm 30ci plus boiler (sometimes) ignoring thermostat

drj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved in to a new flat and would appreciate some advice on fixing a problem I'm having with the heating.

The boiler is a Glow worm 30ci plus gas combination boiler that controlled by a timer on the boiler and a single room thermostat (with Danfoss written on the front and it isn't digital). The boiler has two modes for central heating; thermostatic and thermostatic with timer. In both of these modes it generally works fine, until out of the blue, it'll start ignoring the thermostat and run continuously. On each occasion I've noticed it happen so far it's been during the night, and I've woken up to a flat much warmer than the stingy 15oC that I've set the thermostat to. The thermostat knows the temperature well above 15, I can hear the 'on' and 'off' clicks when turning it to a higher temperature.

During these instances the boiler appears to be running continuously, I stop it by just flipping the main power off and swearing at it. I don't think it immediately comes back on when the power is flipped back on, but I can't verify this as it always seems to happen before I have to go to work (I leave it off to avoid wasting gas all day, should it decide to come back on).

On one evening, after noticing the flat was warmer than it should be (the heating should have been off as the thermostat was set ~8oC), I witnessed the boiler turning on for a few seconds, then off, then back on again. The pump came on and the boiler ignited. It did this for a few minutes with no regular pattern until I switched it off. The water temp in the boiler was shown to be 16oC (in between the random heatings) so I don't think it was any kind of frost prevention.

The previous owners had the boiler on the timer setting, perhaps as a workaround to this problem. I may do this myself it turns out I can't fix it... Assuming the boiler obeys it's own timer - I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not 100% certain.

I've looked through a couple of previous threads on this forum but I'm still not really sure where to start but I've cracked open the thermostat, picture is attached. Does it look like it's wired correctly? Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back