Glow Worm 85/100 Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace the old boiler. As the subject line it is a GW 85/100 and it looks about 30 years old (I inherited it with the house).

It currently drives 13 radiators (it's a big house) with all but two being sited inside bedrooms. In addition I have a hot water cylinder at the top of the house which also has it's own expansion tank in the loft space.

The 85/100 has been fine for heating/hot water needs and I have been told there are very few parts within it that can go wrong hence it's grand old age. I know it is 29.3 Kw so assume I would need a replacement boiler of at least that output?

I have also learnt that given the age of the installation the gas pipe work from meter to appliance may have to be upgraded? That said there is one other gas appliance in the property a Firegem Visa 2 gas fire.

Now the complicated part. It is situated in my basement below accessible drains so does this rule out a combi? I understand combi's need a drain for runoff? Not sure what exactly we would want at this stage as we are simply investigating options.

Can anyone recommend a replacement and or a solution which would probably have to be floor mounted due to being in the basement and space limitations.

As always thanks for all considered replies.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back