Glow worm betacom 24c - low pressure/filling loop help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boiler is currently running at very low pressure and I have no hot water/heating. I've read about trying to top the pressure up with the filling loop by opening up the valves on the metal flexible tube.

Images I've seen have at least one black valve to turn. Mine doesn't - as you can hopefully see in the image below. It appears to have a thing that could be turned with a screwdriver where it might be.

Is it just that the valves haven't been fitted, should I go to work with the screwdriver?

//media.diynot.com/208000_207038_64994_50706729_thumb.jpg

Hope someone can help as I'd quite like to not have to get a boiler engineer out for something I could do myself.

Sponsored Links
Any chance for a clearer picture? I'm getting a neck ache..

From what you're saying, yes you'd be able to top your boiler pressure up with a flat bladed screwdriver - the best way to do it is open one up completely and then slowly open the other one - remember to keep an eye on the pressure!

Yeah, sorry, I just realised how terrible that picture was when I looked at it again. I'll get something better for you now.

Here are some hopefully more helpful pictures.
Showing the bits I might be able to turn with a flat-headed screwdriver.

And the blue valves further up the pipes.

Hopefully this helps - does this change your advice?

Sponsored Links
Dont touch the valve on the right (thats a check valve) it looks like you can top up the pressure by just opening the valve on the left, make sure you put the screwdriver slot back in the same position you found it.

Thanks both of you, it's worked. Saved me a nice chunk of cash.

I know this was posted 2 years ago, but I just wanted to say thank you :) this has fixed my boiler (for the 5th year in a row with a different problem each year).
Does anyone know how I would be able to tell if I have a leak - sounds silly but as far as I can tell, everywhere is dry!!

Topping up a small amount each year is not unusual. When looking for a leak , especially a small one, I feel the rad valves and where the valve connects into the rad, looking for a wet streak on my hand or a crust build up on the fitting
How much water do you put in , going by the gauge?

Good morning,

Would some kind soul like to tell me how I increase my pressure? It's a very chilly morning & no heating before I head off to work o_O.

There is no filling loop visible in that picture.

You will need to look elsewhere. Normally it would include a silver colour flexible hose and be connected between the 4th and 5th metal pipe.

Its not part of the boiler and fitted by the installer and some are a little silly about where they put them.

I once found one under the floorboards on the day before laminate flooring was due to be laid.

Tony

Thank you for the answer Tony. A call to the landlord it is then. I will ask the chap where the filling loop is for the future so appreciate the information.

The pressure isint low enough to stop your boiler, looks like you have another problem.

IMG_20161013_110147557.jpg
Hi,
I am having the same problem, just to be sure seems I should attach the"silver" connector between pipes 4 and 5 and then turn on the black tap. Am I correct? Should I check for anything else? The small hex screw in top of the connector in 5 is another water tap?

Thanks!
Henry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back