Glow worm Combi boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

I have a ten year old Glow worm 30 SXI boiler that has been working fine. Today it started to leak one drip a second and I have located this as coming from the condense trap cap (blue colour).

I can buy a new cap and seal for next to nothing. My question can I simply remove the old one and replace with new? How much water will flood out? Do I have drain down and pressure up? Or should I get a gas registered plumber in?

Many thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Technically you will be working on the flue system of your boiler and as such the boiler police will insist that you call in a professional to do the work for you. To balance this there will be a small amount of condensate water lost and screwing the new cap on is simple. I would suggest that if there is no further leak the job is complete. There is no loss of system pressure in doing it. If you don't feel that you can do the job and are unsure that the leak is from where you think then call in a pro. I await the incoming flak.

After working as an RGI for 45 years you would have expected that he might have been a little less encouraging that to effectively suggest that he does the job himself if he feels competent.

Obviously its a very simple job, although I would also say that water should be put into the condensate trap as just screwing the cap back on then its empty and not creating any seal.

To avoid any possibility of damage to a customer's boiler I would always seek to put some water into it.

Thanks for your answers. Very helpful.

It sounds like I should go for it, if it doesn't stop the leak I'll call in the professionals.

How much water can I expect to gush out of the system when I remove the blue cap? Also, how do I add water back into it to create a good seal as 'Agile' pointed out?

Thanks again

Tom

Sponsored Links
After working as an RGI for 45 years you would have expected that he might have been a little less encouraging that to effectively suggest that he does the job himself if he feels competent.
Ah yes, I thought you'd be commenting from your ivory tower. Selective reading on your part again. Have you read the MI's for this boiler? I did, before answering and nowhere could I find a mention of filling the trap before firing the boiler.

This post gives me hope that my Ultracom will last longer than I thought it would. The MIs for mine mention nothing about filling with water. There's a float inside the trap which I believe fulfils that function.

Note: I am not an rgi.

Edited for typo.

Well I've ordered the part (screw cap and washer). Access is tricky but enough to get a cup and towel under to mop up a 'small amount' of water.

I'll power it all off, have common sense in mind and keep 'em peeled for leaks afterwards....

I feel I should add that the dripping only happens when the boiler is on. When it's off a drop forms very very slowly.

I don't know if this helps in the diagnosis.

If after fitting the new cap you still have a drip, then it's time to call in a pro.

Sorry for late update...

New cap and washer arrived promptly, when I took out the old one the washer had all but disintegrated.

New one has completely fixed the leak. Huge thanks to everyone who commented!

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back