glow-worm compact 80 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to forum but hope some-one can help. Have customer with above boiler, runs fine for approx 20 mins then appears to 'drop out', boiler tries to fire up, briefly comes on, burner goes out, comes on then continually tries to ignite. Radiators do not tend to get overly hot either, and flow & return pipes at boiler only seem to get warm to touch.
Original problem was seized fan, which was replaced along with APS, boiler had been unserviced for 8 years.
Am corgi registered and going more into boiler maintenance, hence the learning curve.

Sponsored Links
I would clean burner and electrodes as it sounds like its not rectifying. These normally have 2 ign electrodes on the right and one monitoring on the left-it helps if you move the monitoring to the right and one of the ign to the left (swap em over). This helps burner cross lighting.

Many thanks for quick replies, fan replaced 2 weeks ago, boiler ran fine for about 1 week after but reverted back to ignition problem?, and as I mentioned before, heating doesn't seem to come up to temp, could heat exchanger be clogged?

Sponsored Links
there's a filter in the bottom of the pump, this can get clogged up with carp.

Have cleaned burner, electrodes checked burner pressure etc on first service, but boiler was pretty mucky inside, old fan caked in muck, leaf matter & usual fried insects in combustion chamber.
Back there tomorrow, am going to drain sytem down & check pump filter
also rectification. One thing I did notice was that the combustion chamber front cover has warped, but there is no evidence of spillage when screwed back on.

I wonder if these suffer from the same problems with the combustion chamber leaking, being warped, as the old Swiftflow does.

DM?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back