Glow worm Fuelsaver problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick query/problerm with my old Glow worm. Basically the pilot goes out when releasing the gas button. It held for a few hours late last week, and for about a minute yesterday, but now no joy at all. I've tested the thermocouple, cleaned the tip, checked it's voltage and it is good. I even replaced it with a universal one but no joy either. All connections sound and pilot flame enveloping thermocouple tip properley.

Reading the manual, it says to test the overheat assembly - which I have done and this proved to be ok.

It then says - test connection (of overheat stat) to body of gas valve - for continuity - if YES faulty connection into gas valve at one of the overheat connectors (which makes no sense, surely NO contunuity would mean faulty connections not completing the circuit?? There are 2 connections into the gas valve from the overheat circuit - all which have continuity.

I have cleaned them all and still continuity

So all left is the gas valve - the electromagnet valve itself failed

Boiler is approx 20 years old, a little rusty looking inside from age and a few signs of water inside too.

Can you still get a gas valve for these boilers or is it better off getting a new boiler

Anyone has this trouble before?

The spark electrode also is starting to fail where it sparks sometimes but not others - probably just age of the boiler, or the crystals getting damper.

Sponsored Links
Boiler Stat doubles as the pump overrun. Get that inspected by an RGI. Possibly latent heat in the boiler when its up to temperature and the overrun is not kicking in if the stat is faulty.

Mr. W.

The pilot goes out when boiler's stone cold/immediately - following the boiler manual it doesn't mention the pump overrun/stat at all

Sponsored Links
We dont give advice or encouragement on this forum for DIYers to do gas/safety related repairs.

The advice would be to get a competent boiler engineer who knows how to measure the millevolts involved in the safety circuits. Unfortunaty not that many do.

Tony

We dont give advice or encouragement on this forum for DIYers to do gas/safety related repairs.

The advice would be to get a competent boiler engineer who knows how to measure the millevolts involved in the safety circuits. Unfortunaty not that many do.

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony!

I'm with you, I'm not about to mess about with a gas boiler. Did manage to get it restarted, think the thermocouple is on the way out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back