Glow worm leaking water but only sometimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I've got a glow worm 18hxi, and the other day i saw that some water was dripping down the side of the case, the whole system was working still. But to be on the safe side, and i turned the whole system off till the morning. Anyways by the morning there was no dripping so turned it all back on and for about 24 hours it was fine again. But after then if started again, so i opened the boiler up to have a look inside. The leaking was coming from a grey pipe, which was connected to this plastic box on the right hand side of the boiler, which i think is something to do with the overflow, because the overflow pipe which goes out side (plastic type) is also connected to this box, also there is a black pipe as well. The water isn't coming out fast or anything its one drop at a time, and isn't gone cause anymore damage because all the pcbs and such are off the bottom of the case. This gray pipe connects to this plastic box and then goes to the big stanleless steel thing (i don't know alot about boilers) the thing which is burning the gas, cos i can see blue flames in it. Yesterday the pipe wasn't dripping it was fine, but this morning i turn the centre heating on left it on for 30 mins or so, then checked the boiler and it had started dripping again. I can's be 100% its the centre heating causing the problem because i didn't check this morning it may of started last night, but it was fine all of Yesterday and at no point in the day did i have the centre heating on. Also where i live its really cold at the moment and lots of snow, and this seamed to of started when the cold kicked in. So if anyone could tell me why its doing this and maybe a fix that would be really helpful?

Sponsored Links
You have a leak on you condensate trap/pipework which needs a RGI to fix as the pipe and trap are part of the flue system and as such you should not be trying a diy fix.You have opened the combustion cover and I would advise you not to go any further on safety grounds.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't plan on doing anything, already got a plumply booked to fix it. I just wanted to know what it was i'm just that type of person. Is this a big job for a repair man or nothing that big?

Sponsored Links
Is their anything i could do before the repair man comes to slow it down or something, because his meant to be coming this afternoon but i can't see him turning up because of the snow. Which means at best he'll come monday. Am i best keeping the heating off but maybe just turn the radiators on so their alittle warm?

If there is no water leaking inside the boiler then use it.Do not operate the boiler with the silver combustion cover removed!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back