Glow Worm Boiler - Water Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed water leaking from the underside of my condenser central heating system (Glow Worm Unit). The drips form on the 90 degree bend of the PVC pipe which I have since found out is the drain pipe. I got a plumber out and he stripped the boiler and cleaned out the small plastic box that the water goes into before it disappears into the plastic drain pipe. He said it was full of scale which had caused a blockage. A few weeks later and the dripping is back. I have stripped out the plastic box and gave it a clean, [there was water (a few mm deep) sitting in the bottom of the boiler panel], poured water into the plastic drain pipe to make sure it wasn't blocked and generally looked for any other obvious signs - nothings. I put it all back together and hey presto after a short period of operation the leak is back. As I have cleaned the plastic box the condensing water is collected in and checked the waste pipe for blockages by pouring water into it to see if it overflows I'm at a loss as to what next to do? Can anyone please advise; a - Is there anything I can re-check before calling a plumber in? b - Could the source be the heat exchanger and what evidence would I see? c - HELP please :(

regards, Kevin

Sponsored Links
it can be the heat exchanger leaking at the back, but its more often the two black flexible pipes that join the condensate trap (box you have cleaned) to the heat exchanger. either that or its the seal directly above the little funnel shaped plastic that these two pipes connect to.

have also seen the condensate trap leak from the top if it blocks up internally but you seem confident its clean.

your engineer should dry it all out and run the boiler on hot water with the case off to confirm where the leak is appearing from

Have not known the Heat ex to leak but have know the flue collector behind it to leak. Its the grey plastic bit behind the heat ex which connects upto the flue above the boiler.

How old is your glow worm?and is it a CXi

Sponsored Links
If it is the seal on the flue adaptor it should be covered as a warranty job by glow-worm as it is a manufactured fault.It will need to be addressed as the codensate is acidic and will rot any copper or steel it comes into contact with.

All, thanks for the quick responses, I will print off and try to understand :)

I came home tonight and the wife told me it had been leaking a storm today, so I quickly removed the covers and looked. There was water lying in the bottom and for the first time I noticed what looked like a tell tale sign of water leakage from a copper pipe. Now the panel the sign was on was very hot so I'm sure most of it would've evopourated, however you can still see it. Any further thoughts to those posted? Oh and I took a pic of the bottom of the cabinet where you can see rust damage :( Finally there is a pic of the leaking drips from the plastic compartment I refered too. I suspect its another call out to a local Bristol plumber :(

The unit is a Glow Worm Energysaver 40e (Condensing Boiler) No GCNo 41-319-77 and is at the most 10 years old.

regards, Kevin.

boil1ou5.jpg

boil3ia0.jpg

boil5nq4.jpg

boil4ro9.jpg
[/img]

This is a typical example of you not providing enough infomation.

Please ignore everthing that I have said because you didnt say it was an energysaver!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

We presumed it was a CXi

The condensate is probably blocked where it enters the heat ex which is a total bastard to do properly or the heat ex is knackered.

Do yourself a favour and get a new boiler fitted.

Stan

Remove the nut holding the black plastic tube as shown in the photo and look inwards with a torch and a dentists mirror ( but get the permission of the dentist first! ).

You may be able to see that its well blocked inside.

If so you should be able to poke it and get most of the dirt out.

I presume that it has not been properly serviced for the last 10 years?

I am amused that you say that its "only 10 years old". Boilers of this style rarely lasted any longer than 10 years ( because the condensate outlet became blocked ).

Tony Glazier

Stan and Tony,

Sorry for the lack of information in the first instance, glad to have cleared that up. Would I be right in saying that considering the age of this boiler and its possible problems you are both of the opinion that I'd be better (over the long term) to completely replace it? If so I wonder if I could ask for some more guidance;

- How much should a new boiler be fitted (£1500+?)
- Should I stick with a condenser variety?
- Any recommended makes?
- Am I as well getting British Gas out to quote (have since read up on BG, scarey!)

As an aside we have 3 sinks, a shower room, a bath and 10 radiators in our 3-bed house incase that helps with suggestions.

Many thanks for any advice provided, regards, Kevin.

Help,

I have a glow worm cxi boiler which is about 3 years old. My condensate trap was filling up and the float switch was shutting the gas off to the boiler.

I cleaned the trap out as there was lots of black sediment in the bottom. I put the trap back in and it filled up again and started to leak out the top of the trap. I left the front cover off for a while to see it working, the problem wasnt nearly as bad when the front cover was off. But now its filling up again.

How does the trap work? it seems to have chambers in it?

Any help appreciate.

thanks

Dont hi-jack a post, and the OP's boiler looks like it has been sat on the wall with no attention in 10 years. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back