Glow worm ultimate 50ff boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my boiler it will not give a constant supply to the radiators, once the room temperture reaches 16 deg C the radiators cool even thou the room thermostat is set to 21 degC, Also the hot water only reaches a warm temperture. All the pipe work and radiators reach very hot tempertures initially but this does not continue! Within the control box I have noticed a constant sparking from the circuit board, this occurs on a neighbours identical boiler but only happens when firing up and then stops! Could this be the problem and how much would a new circuit cost? Please can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I had the same problem on my girlfriends boiler a few years ago. It was the PCB. The problem i was having was sparking from the fan relay on the pcb, as the soldered connections had burnt out causing intermmitent starting and stopping. I was able to re solder the relay connections on the pcb, as a temporay repair, (i am an electrician by trade) then found out my girlfriend had a contract with British Gas for service and repairs. So she phoned them and they came and replaced the pcb, so not sure what they cost.

If you hear a constant sparking then you have a common fault which occurs with this particular model.A decent boiler man will fix this in no time and the pcb's on these are very reliable,so don't go and throw parts at it in an attempt to fix it.The repairs require the cover to be removed and you should not attempt this yourself.

I agree that you shouldn't attempt this work or throw parts at it, but my problem was the pcb burnt out, but this may not be so in your case.

Problem now solved, very simple, a partially block gas injector which was then shutting the boiler down causing the circuit board constantly try try to relight boiler.

Thanks for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back