Glow Worm Ultimate 50FF PCB Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pcb packed up on Saturday with a pop and burning smell. Replaced it today, the old one was well fired on the bottom side and the fuse had blown, obviously.

The new pcb fuse blew before firing up the boiler. What else do I need to look at now?

Any gas fitters on here in the New Forest area who can come and diagnose the fault without ripping me off?

Perhaps I should add,, it's a five wire board with one fuse.

Sponsored Links
The new pcb fuse before firing up the boiler. What else do I need to look at now?

Any gas fitters on here in the New Forest area who can come and diagnose the fault without ripping me off?

There are all sorts of things which can blow a fuse. The pump is a common one but will only apply in your case if its supplied through the boiler.

As usual, you probably need a competent boiler engineer.

However, I really dont know why you positively seem to expect to get ripped off?

British Gas do a fixed price repair for about £200 and that might have been the best thing for you to have done. Now you seem to have managed to rip yourself off with your failed attempts to do it yourself!

Perhaps you consider our fixed diagnostic charge of £84 to be a rip off? If that were the case then all I can say is start thinking about the modern world and ask your solicitor how much he charges you! Probably £300 per hour and £60 for telling you how much he charges!

Tony

As Agile says pump is a possibilty if supplied from boiler.
Or Try disconnecting the fan and see if it still blows

The 7 wire usually has pump wired to it, could be wrong from memory however?

Sponsored Links
As Agile says pump is a possibilty if supplied from boiler.
Or Try disconnecting the fan and see if it still blows

I disconnected the fan, put in a new fuse and it didn't blow. I reconnected the fan, it spun up and the boiler fired up but now the boiler sounds noisy.
Fan is quiet and then a loud buzzing / humming noise starts as soon as the gas fires up.

That might be a noisy gas valve.

They can just be noisy but they can also blow fuses with intermittent shorted windings to earth.

You could look at its coils and see if there is any sign of overheating.

In view of the possibility of an ongoing fault i would suggest you put a lower value fues in place the minimise colaterial damage. Perhaps 2/3 value of fuse.

Tony

That might be a noisy gas valve.

They can just be noisy but they can also blow fuses with intermittent shorted windings to earth.

You could look at its coils and see if there is any sign of overheating.

In view of the possibility of an ongoing fault i would suggest you put a lower value fues in place the minimise colaterial damage. Perhaps 2/3 value of fuse.

Tony

Right okay.
cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back