Glow worm ultracom cxi30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is driving me mad, please can anyone help?

I have a 4 year old Glow worm ultracom cxi30 which has had problems with the hot water turning cold after just a couple of minutes requiring me to turn the tap off, wait a minute and turn it back on for it to give me hot water again for another couple of minutes. i have had a couple of different plumbers out, the first one said my boiler was rubbish and knackered and I needed a new one so I asked another plumber for a second opinion who said it was a great boiler and just needed a new heat exchanger, he replaced this but it has not worked completely properly since, still giving us hot water only temporarily.

When he changed the heat exchanger he kept telling us it has sludge in it and we needed a power flush done which would cost an additional £300 which sounds alot of money just to clean a central heating system, I have also bled the radiators and the water that comes out is perfectly clear so wonder if there really is sludge in the system.

Since this work being done I have tried turning our heating on but it came up with F25 (something to do with thermistors), the plumber who changed the heat exchanger now just says the only problem with it is that it needs a power flush but he's basically said he hasn't got time so get someone else out. Can anyone give me any clue as to what might be wrong with both the hot water and central heating as i'm fed up with un-trustworthy plumbers.

Sponsored Links
How frightful for you!! :( Not sure I can help but just thought I'd add my support. :D

I suggest you call glow worm and they will send one of their own engineers
and sort the boiler properly.

The other guys have just been wasting your time.

At a complete guess having not seen the boiler and it being only
4 years old I would say your have a thermistor problem that would
only cost a few pounds in parts to fix.

Thermistors are solid very unlikely they are faulty, I would say given the problems so far and the F25 that the main heat exchanger is blocked or the pump is full of debris. Either way I'd suggest the system was never properly flushed when the boiler was installed. Theses boilers are normally solid.

Sponsored Links
I have not seen or tested the boiler but my best guess would be as Micky suggests.

We charge about £350 to power flush a system but that will include fixing the problem which created to request to do the flushing.

Tony

I have not seen or tested the boiler but my best guess would be as Micky suggests.

We charge about £350 to power flush a system but that will include fixing the problem which created to request to do the flushing.

Tony

Thanks for your help, I've been told a new main heat exchanger would cost about 300 just for the part, is this not true because your are saying you could power flush the system and also fix the existing problem for 350?

Manufacturers engineers and BG to a large extent just fit new parts.

I will chemically clean internal boiler parts where possible. This is messy and a little time consuming but the payment goes to me and not to the manufacturer for a new part ( which takes a while to fit too ).

Most of the time cleaning works fine but if there are loops in parallel then if the boiler has become very seriously blocked the chemical just takes the easy route and bypasses the blocked part. In that case it does need to be replaced.

Tony

Most of the time cleaning works fine but if there are loops in parallel then if the boiler has become very seriously blocked the chemical just takes the easy route and bypasses the blocked part. In that case it does need to be replaced.

Tony

Thanks for your help, I've been told a new main heat exchanger would cost about 300 just for the part, is this not true because your are saying you could power flush the system and also fix the existing problem for 350?

Think someones caught you out Agile. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back