Gloworm Boiler driving me up the wall!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY'ers of the world. Please can someone help.

I have a Gloworm KFB-40 Spacesaver boiler (18 yrs old....yes it's old!) and I'm doing my best to keep the old boy running. I've recently replaced the gas valve, PCB, air switch and fan as part of my central heating overall (i.e. changed rads, had to fit new immersion tank as old one leaking etc).
Anyway...my problem is this..

When I attempt to put the boiler on it either comes on (goes through the 4 neon stages of firing...i.e. checks fan, pressure switch, pilot lite, then gas valve solenoid opens..hey presto etc) and works or it it starts the process (i.e. hear the fan spin and sometimes the gas valve open to supply gas for the pilot) then it shuts of (no neons) as if the power has gone.

I've think I've tracked the fault down to the switched live (labelled as pin 12 on the boiler electrical connector).

When the boiler works 240V appears on pin 12 when I switch the control panel on but then it drops out (appears to drop to 50V). I've removed the timer/control panel and can see the 240V drop on the mains cable in which goes up to pin 12 but I've no idea what the cable in the wall connects to so I can't track the fault back. Since I know this is the switched 240V line it has to connect to something which either puts 240V there or doesn't!!!... I think...

I've at my wits end with this problem. I suspected faults on the boiler were causing the power drop (i.e. fan and air switch ...hence me changing these items). Can someone tell me what the twin and earth cable that comes in the pattress where the timer attaches connect to please?

I've checked the living room thermostat (in fact replaced as had a new spare) and I've checked the cables in the airing cupboard where the immersion element, central heating pump, tank thermostat are located. The electrical connection box did get wet due to the tank leak but I've given the cables a visual check and tigthen with a screwdriver but all looks good in there.

The only things I haven't replaced in the boiler are the overheat cut-out switch and rotary dial thermostat. I will replace the cut out as I've got one on the way but due to 240V dissappearing of pin 12 I suspect my fault is outside the boiler.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
there's no way all those parts needed changing. What chancer did that?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the positive reply guys.
I asked for help not criticism. If I wanted criticism I could have asked my mates. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back