Gloworm boiler error F22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 or 5 years ago we had an issue with our Gloworm boiler where it came up wit F22. It is a conventional boiler and we don't use it a great deal, if it all for the warmer months. We use electric for hot water and don't have any heating on. We tend to start to use the heating in Nov time and finish in about Feb depending on the weather.

Anyway we fixed it last time by opening the drain valves on the flow and return pipes which are just above the boiler. We filled a bucket a few times, during which time some air came out. Once enough air had come out it all worked fine. It continued to work.

We've just come to put the heating on again and we are getting the F22 error again.

So, I knew what to do, I put a hose on the first drain valve and opened it, filled a bucket up but there wasn't much air coming out, if any.

I swapped to the back drain valve, as I opened it a few drops came out. I've then tried to open it further but nothing happens, no more water comes out. I can end up winding the whole thing out of the drain valve with nothing coming out.

How can this happen? Is the valve seized? How did they work inside?

These drain valves are in a really awkward place, so not easy to get to.

Sponsored Links
Drain valves have a rubber seal ,and over time they stick in position.
If you remove yours is there a round rubber seal on it ?
Have you checked your pump is running ,they also seize up if not used for a long period ?

The drain plugs have a square drive on them, as I start to undo them, the out knurled part also starts to undo, I presume it shouldn't really. If I undo the knurled part, and then undo the centre part until it comes out. You can see a rubber o ring on the centre part, I can't see inside the valve to see if anything is in there as I can't get in front of it.

With the main pump in the airing cupboard, it is making a noise how do I test any further that it is working?

Thanks

The O rings just prevent water passing up the spindle ,the rubber seal is at the very end of the spindle.
Does your pump have a small silver disc , with a slot in it ,in the centre of the pump ? If it does it can be loosened to bleed pump of air, caution ...water will dribble out. It can also be removed to see if pump is free turning. Electric supply should be isolated before doing the above.

Sponsored Links
Yes it has the large silver disc in the middle which comes out. I'll run it with it loosened to see if it removes some air

Thanks, it seemed to do the trick. Left it running for about 10 minutes with the silver plug out and it dribbling into a pot.

Reset the boiler and it kicked back in. I couldn't hear any air coming out, but the heating has remained on since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back