Gloworm combi boiler pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light extinguished after recent baths.

Now, my pilot light comes on when the gas control knob is pressed in, but goes out as soon as it is released.

There is a faint rattling from the boiler.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
There is a safety device - you need to hold in the gas control valve for approx 30 seconds after the pilot lights.

I have had the same problem in the past; you need to change the thermocouple. Costs about £5 or so

Can you confirm that replacing the thermocouple worked. We are having the same problem. Even after holding the gas control valve in for 30 seconds (and every variation either side) the pilot extinguishes as soon as the button is released.

Also, does the thermocouple have to be replaced by a CORGI registered fitter, or is it something I could do myself?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The thermocouple works in this way.. When u hold in the button the gas valve is manually opened. This allows you to light the pilot light. This then heats up the thermocouple that then provides a current to hold open the gas valve when u leave go of the button. itsn electromaagnet that holds the valve in the open position. If the pilot goes out the valve closes and cuts off the gas supply.

If the the thermocoupe is OK ( check by substitution ) the electromagnet in the gas valve may be open circuit ( no connectin ) You will need a corgi man for this "gassy" Job. Do NOT mess with gassy parts ...........

Thanks Gees, I'll get a proper gas man to have a look (don't want to wipe our house off the map!). Better to have a bit of info though, especially after seeing programmes like "Rogue Traders"!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back