Mixer taps cause combi pilot to go out?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

:oops: We have a combi boiler and recently fitted bath mixer taps in the new btahroom.
When adjusting the temperature through the mixer - the pilot light goes out. Any ideas why?
Advice gratefully accepted.
Cheers
S

Sponsored Links
Hi Sooty

Are you sure, it's not the thermocouple?

When I have had the pilot light go out, it has been the thermocouple (a small bullet like copper thing with a copper wire 1ft, connected to a nut)

This feels the temp of the pilot and so allows gas to burn, if the thermo doesn't get to the correct temp, it automatically switches off the gas so you don't get a big bang!

You could replace it yourself, it's not difficult, and they are under a £5!, I paid got the bit from a plumber and the tw@t charged me £40

Hope this helps,

Wilse

Thanks very much for the suggestion Wilse... I will go home armed with your response and prompt hubby into action.

The bath fills up with no problems - but as soon as I try to adjust the temperature coming out of the taps in order to use the shower attachment the water goes cold.

Out I get, dripping down the stairs to relight the pilot - either that or rinse my hair in cold water - ouch. Lets hope we can resolve it.
Cheers again
S

Combi boiler are only good if you got good water pressure otherwise useless.Sadly a lot of plumbers are not taking any notice on water pressure for combi boiler.My next door neighbour take approx 15 minutes to run a hot bath!! You can also check to see if the cold feed stopcock is fitted in the right direction flow otherwise you will lose water pressure.

Sponsored Links
The pilot light will usually go out for 3 reasons
1 No gas
2 thermocouple failure
3 gas valve elecrtomagnet coil open circuit ( wire off inside )

Other than these i cant imagine what the problem could be ?? :confused: :confused:

Thanks to Masona - the water pressure is very good and the mixer taps downstairs have worked for a few years now without any problems.

Thanks to Gees - will explore your suggestion
S

WHAT OMBI IS IT? IF YOU LOCATE THE THRMOCOUPLE (COPPER LINK APP 300mm LONG) IT SHOULD HAVE A OVERHEAT STAT INTERUPTING IT,USUALLY LEADING TO THE GAS TO WATER HEAT EXCHAGER.POSS GETTING TOO HOT WHEN YOU REDUCEING THE FLOW.IF IT IS YIU NEED TO FIND OUT WHY IT WONT COPE. (COMBI ENG)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back