Gloworm Ultimate - one tap makes it work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My glowworm has developed an annoying fault. When it cycles off for the thermostat, or overnight, it won't light automatically. However, a very gentle tap on the switch housing brings it back to life.

(I really do mean a gentle tap - not a big 'ommer).

Any idea what it might be.

Don't mind doing electrical stuff but if the gas is involved, I'm wary of doing anything.

Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
change the thermostat unless you want to start mucking about with the switch contacts

Hi. Are we talking about the same thermostat here?

The one in the boilers box, or the one in the hallway of the house? The latter one makes it turn off OK. Do you think that is missing a connection in the boilers switch box?

I was wondering if it might just be dirty contacts in the boilers control box since tapping that is what makes it go. Makes no difference what the external stat is set to..... Or the boilers temp controller come to that. :confused:

sorry, mate, thought you were referring to the room stat. however the same applies to the boiler stat. either there's a loose connection on it's wiring or it's damaged /knackered from what you say. won't be rocket science to find out which applies

Sponsored Links
....a very gentle tap on the switch housing brings it back to life....
What exactly are you tapping to make it work?

It sounds like a loose contact or dry solder joint, it should be pretty easy to spot if you take a look.

Make sure you turn the electricity off to the boiler & any external controls before you dive in!

What I was tapping is the smallish zinc plated box hanging under the main booiler housing.

The only control on it is the on/off/temp control.

As I said, doesn't matter what that is set at, but the tap thing makes it work every time.

I'll turn off the Juice and have a look inside.

Ta again.

Get a RGI to have a look, the control box contains virtually every component on the boiler, it could be a loos connection, a dry joint on the PCB, faulty air switch, faulty boiler stat etc etc etc, It will be cheaper to pay some one to diagnose the fault, than to Guestimate the cause and waste money on neadless parts. Good luck! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back