Glowworm 24cxi pipe outside house dripping water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm 24cxi combi condensing boiler, it's about 10 years old, has had its ups and downs but still going.

The last time I had it serviced, I mentioned to the chap that the pressure had gone down, and when I filled it using the filling loop, it had gone down quite quickly again from say 1.5 to 0.7. He said this was nothing to worry about and I should only worry if started flashing red.

I didn't therefore worry too much, but a few months ago I started noticing water appearing at the bottom of my outside wall. At first I thought this was a leak from a neighbour as he said his toilet was leaking, but it turned out to be nowhere near this.

I then noticed that the metal pipe which sticks out of the wall, way down from the funnel which steam comes out of, was dripping water, and sometimes quite a lot of water is coming out and dripping onto the paving outside, so I am trying to figure out if the water I have been seeing is from this and if this is normal, or whether it is either related to the pressure drops, or there is a leak somewhere else which might also be related.

I have someone coming out to it this week, but just want to gather information as I'm wondering if the chap who serviced it last should have been a bit more interested in the pressure drops I mentioned rather than just signing it off as fully functioning? :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it only really starts dripping when the central heating is on then its very possible just the expansion vessel needing a look at. What does the pressure read when the heatings hot?

theres a possibility that the valve which allows this overflow to run may need changing also if its been dripping for a while.

If it only really starts dripping when the central heating is on then its very possible just the expansion vessel needing a look at. What does the pressure read when the heatings hot?

theres a possibility that the valve which allows this overflow to run may need changing also if its been dripping for a while.

Thanks. Have been running the heating, turned on the hot tap to get the pressure to display and it was 0.9 It was 1.0 when I got in today and 1.5 when I filled it yesterday afternoon, so not sure if all the pressure is being lost out of the dripping or something else going on!

Sponsored Links
Frustratingly, I can't seem to find a picture of what a pressure relief pipe is like anywhere on Google, to compare to the pipe I have. It is a metal pipe which comes out of the wall and bends downwards, is the only way I can describe it?

I will try to take a picture but am away from house at the moment.

Got someone coming on Wednesday.

Thanks for the answers here, I had someone out today to fix it, he replaced the pressure relief valve, pressure reading all as it should be now.

I still have the issue with the water, have posted elsewhere in more detail about this, but what he said was if I had an internal leak, it would be unlikely to find its way through the walls to the outside as in the picture linked to below:

http://postimg.org/image/dvjm8ahfb/

Any thoughts would be appreciated, my neighbour has said it's nothing to do with him, but the plumber today said from what he can see it's 99% certain the source is the neighbour's house and not mine.

I just want to arm myself with as much info as possible before I confront my neighbour for the 4th or 5th time about this (last time he said his toilet was nowhere near the leak, but there is a plastic overflow pipe sticking out of his wall not that far away, which can only fall onto his flat extension roof if it does overflow, and may also be a problem with his roof...

BTW, I asked the bloke who fixed my boiler (from British Gas) whether the pressure relief valve leaking would have led to inhibitor leaking out of the system/becoming diluted.

He said no.

Was this the correct advice do you think?

Apologies for any questions that sound stupid, I am not very handy and need to learn basic things, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back