Glowworm boiler/Honeywell programer-fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can offer some wisdom here-whilst working on a property i was asked to look at the CH system-its a glowworm spacesaver 30 installed in 84,all rads are controlled by trv's bar one in the bathroom,microbore pipe feeds to rads(10mm),honeywell st699b controller and roomstat in hallway.innitially the customer mentioned that the pump was making a noise and lack of heating downstairs-upstairs ok-so i added a sludge cleaner to the system and flushed out,changed pump and 3 way valve at the same time(as it was semi siezed),the system fired up straight away then cut out approx 5 mins later,i've had probs bleading systems like these locally so we re bled n tried again-little improvement but then again cuts out-suspecting the room stat i swapped it for a new one and now a lot better,house warms up,hot rads downstairs but the boiler still cuts out before the 3 rooms below are as hot as rooms upstairs-whats the chances of the boiler stat being faulty?,programmer fault??,and i was always told roomstats not needed if using trv's-the hallway is about 22 degrees constant-downstairs rooms about 17/18-i'm not sure now if i've been told the whole story and customer has said the boiler been like that for a long time,i've checked most things over and everthing appears fine-anyone got any ideas??

Sponsored Links
If there is a wall stat in the hall, then there shouldn't be a TRV on the rad in the hall. You can get over this by setting the hall TRV to Max.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replys guys,i'll take on board the bit re trv in the hall.other than doing a continuity test on the boiler stat(as per fault finding chart)is there any other way of checking its working correctly...also having looked at the wiring schematic it appears that the HW tank stat also supplies live to the boiler-if the tank stat is faulty won't this have an effect on the time the boiler runs-ie if this stat switches off the power to the boiler is cut-sorry to have to ask these questions but sometimes we all need a bit of help-i'm probably worrying over nothing here but just want to make sure everthings ok for these customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back