Glowworm boiler - keeps tripping showing F5, F9 or F11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow worm Ultrapower sxi boiler. Over the past 24 hours, it has kept stopping and showing fault code F5, F9 or F11. If I then reset it via the reset button, it starts working again for a short period (and will heat water in that period, eg I've had a hot shower, or the central heating system) before stopping again and showing one of those 3 fault codes.

The first time it stopped, it had low pressure but I re pressurised it and it is currently at 1.5 (which is slightly higher than it would usually operate at) - it hasn't lost pressure other than the first time it stopped, as far as I am aware.

Any thoughts on what the issue may be? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Likely to be pressure sensor/ heating vessel flexi hose get installer back to investigate, no chance of a diy fix im afraid
Good luck

Thanks - are those likely to be expensive? (which probably means over £100 to me when thinking about boiler repairs!)

The boiler is under 8 years old but has been temperamental since we moved in around 4 years ago. Almost changed it just under 2 years ago when local plumbers said it couldn't be fixed, but British Gas came and got it working again - seemed worth a try at that stage. Needed one call out for a minor fix in the meantime (by BG as we were tied into a 12-month service plan as part of the original fix). Although boilers should last longer, it's probably now at the point where I'd be inclined to get a new boiler if it's not an easy fix due to the likelihood that something else might go wrong! The BG engineer that came out last time did comment that he rarely sees these boilers as they haven't generally been very good and so weren't sold for long.

Anyway I'll get someone round as soon as possible this week to have an initial look as it's probably worth a call-out fee to see if they reckon they can get it up and running at a reasonable cost.

Almost changed it just under 2 years ago when local plumbers said it couldn't be fixed, but British Gas came and got it working again - seemed worth a try at that stage.

Its usually BG who say it cannot be fixed and then local plumbers who fix it!

Sponsored Links
Its usually BG who say it cannot be fixed and then local plumbers who fix it!
In my experience it's the other way round, local guys say too expensive or can't guarantee fix....call Bg.

A month ago I was kind of trapped into fixing one that BG had refused to fix unless she had a power flush.

It did not really need a power flush.

After cleaning the Magnaclean and the Baxi built in return filter the boiler was working again.

Now why would BG NOT clean the Magnaclean? I had asked her to specifically ask them to clean it and they replied that it was "not necessary".

Just when is it not necessary to clean a magnetic filter?

Not sure Tony, perhaps if they knew you were fiddling with it aswell they might call third party interference?, perhaps inexperienced engineer?. It only needs the customer to call back and request a more skilled engineer.

I was very keen to not get involved. In fact two years ago I had told her husband that I never wanted to see their boiler again.

The last visit was a "second opinion" visit but was by someone undergoing "assessment" who was watched by two others who took no part in what he was going.

He did fiddle with the boiler but just repeated the power flush comment and when asked said it was "not necessary" to clean the mag filter.

I only went after that because she was panicking with no heating and I wanted her to come to my party with her sister who is a singer/entertainer.

Fair enough, brave call to decide a system with a blocked return filter and a clogged system filter doesn't need a flush though.

It appears the issue is with the heat exchanger which needs replacing - so, although a boiler ought to do more than 8 years, given the cost of repair it seems most sensible to go for a new boiler since this isn't the first issue I've had with it in the 3.5 years since moving house.

I only went after that because she was panicking with no heating and I wanted her to come to my party with her sister who is a singer/entertainer.

Tony are you pimping out your services to get people to your party?

Andy

Which of the two heat exchangers are you thinking is blocked?

Its perhaps odd but I seem to have great success in renovating otherwise condemned boilers. But then I mostly only do repairs and so have no incentive to tell people a boiler cannot be repaired.

Even if you have a new boiler fitted it is essential that you have the system carefully power flushed. Most boilers will have a very short life on a dirty system.

Unless you have an Intergas of course.

Their main heat exchangers are of 22 mm copper tube and so not at all likely to block even with a dirty system.

Then there is no plate heat exchanger to block up either!

Their design is very tolerant of system deficiencies.

Tony

It appears the issue is with the heat exchanger which needs replacing - so, although a boiler ought to do more than 8 years, given the cost of repair it seems most sensible to go for a new boiler since this isn't the first issue I've had with it in the 3.5 years since moving house.
New heat exchanger is about £400. New boiler of a similar spec to the Ultrapower is about £2500, both plus fitting. I know which I'd do...

GlowWorm's own Group Service will do the repair for you and I believe provide a one year warranty on the repair, if you don't trust a local to do it for you

What is special about it to warrant a cost of £2500 ?

Presumably it is a storage combi and the Viessmann 222 could be a suitable replacement.

But usually the best solution would be to get GW to repair it and then put it one of the annual maintenance schemes before it gets too old.

Last edited:
Presumably it is a storage combi and the Viessmann 222 could be a suitable replacement.
Have you had experience with the 222 ??because I wouldn't recommend a 222 with views I've heard from engineers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back