Glowworm Flexicom 30CX - water coming back via the exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time it rains water comes back inside the boiler and into the room. With yesterday's downpour on the day of the Royal Diamond Jubilee Pageant, I collected over a pint in the bucket I now have to keep permanently under the boiler. Anyone have a solution as British Gas and Glowworm have proved useless?

Sponsored Links
You could possibly fit a guard of some sort above the flue? I have often seen broken guttering joints above where the flue is that drip straight into the flue during heavy rain. Is this your problem?

Thanks for that advice. The BG engineer was supposed to have checked for that but anything is possible and worth trying. They have tried changing the angle of the exhaust without any impact. I wondered whether as we have a sloping roof to that room it might have been better for the flue to go up and through the tiling. I see Glowworm have a kit for that. Or there is a kit to take the exhaust away from airbricks and windows that might help stop the ingress.

Sponsored Links
I did think of that but the plume diverter will only relocate the inner flue. I suspect that the water is getting in the outer flue(where fresh air goes in for combustion)

if youve got a pitched roof above the boiler then yes a vertical flue will cure your problem, also looks better anyway.

The outer flue pipe should actually be installed horizontally as the fall back to the boiler is built into the inner flue.

I have come across quite a few on these and nearly all are BG installs with that shi**t angled terminal that points upwards. Is it a BG install?

So I'd say make sure the outer flue pipe is horizontal and fit a standard terminal kit

Yes it is a BG installation. They are scratching their heads re how to cure it and of course we had a hot spell between when they refitted and the downpours. It's fitted very high on the wall, just below the gutter (and there is a join just above it), plus a sloping roof above that.

Thanks for your help. This is a nightmare! I'm surprised the manufacturer hasn't tested their flue design to ensure this cannot happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back