Glowworm Micron 60/70/80FF ignition problem

P

pna

I have an intermittent problem with my Micron 80FF boiler, similar to a few others who have posted to these boards.

My problem is the boiler apparently works fine, but I keep finding it with the fan turning but not actually lit - it can remains like this for hours - it shows the Orange flame failure LED until it is switched off. So far, switching the timer or boiler off and on again has temporarily cured the problem, but I did get worried yesterday when this didn't work for 5 minutes.

This has been happening for about 3 months but seems to be happening more frequently. The chap who serviced the boiler about a month ago wasn't that familiar with this type of boiler and said it could be several things - all of which were expensive, and he didn't want to indulge in a trial and error replacement of parts.

I've looked through the troubleshooting manual that came with the boiler and checked voltages on the unit, but didn't find it conclusive.

Would anyone with experience of fixing this type of boiler be able to offer a suggestion as to what component isn't working correctly?

BTW is it 'normal' for a boiler to light and switch off a lot e.g. every 20 minutes or so?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
possible pcb old type board is brown new type is blue/green dont forget new pcb requires thermal pump over run, may also be faulty air pressure switch

corgigazza said:
possible pcb old type board is brown new type is blue/green dont forget new pcb requires thermal pump over run, may also be faulty air pressure switch
what do you mean by thermal pump over run

:oops: meant to put timed pump over
this allows pump to run when burner goes of and no heat demand to cool the heat exchanger and stop the over heat stat from tripping

:idea: good test to see if it is the pcb is when the boiler stops working wiggle cotrol knob on pcb panel if heating comes on this proves pcb u/s,

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this corgigazza - do you mean wiggle the reset knob?

If it is the pcb, how would I tell if my system has a timed pump overrun?

I've been in the house most of today and have heard the boiler operate - most of the time it starts on first ignition, about half a dozen times it took two ignition attempts and once it took three. Does this have any bearing?

Could benefit from a service - when was the last one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back