Glow Worm Micron 80FF problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having some problems with my boiler, I was wondering if someone could help me.

In accordance with the guidelines here:

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Glow Worm Micron 80FF (Gas boiler)

2) What is / is not happening
Sometimes the boiler refuses to ignite (nothing happens at all). Other times, the boiler will ignite fine.... run for a while, and then shut off. (And not restart.) Sometimes the rads go cold, even while the boiler is running.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently
Nothing at all.

4) When did it (problem) start
Within the last month or two

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off
The problems seem to occur randomly. Sometimes working, sometimes not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not a plumber, but I do have a similar boiler, and a similar problem. I found that one of the plugs on the electrical board was hitting the earthing tag on the case and had damaged the connection. I resoldered and it worked OK for a while, but now works very erratically. I posted a question on this forum but no replies. Without any expert advice, I think that the original fault has damaged the board. You may be suffering from a similar problem.

Sponsored Links
Mine is attached to the wall below the kitchen worktop. The pump is under the floorboards. Reading the boards has Glowworm got a reliable name product-wise?

is your system sealed /open vented /gravity domestic /fully pumped
we are not mind readers remember we are reading print not stood looking at the job :rolleyes:

Our system was originally gravity fed. When we had a Baxi installed it was changed to fully pumped and somehow when the Micron was installed became gravity fed again before being re-piped round the boiler to become fully pumped again. It is open-vented. Yes definitely! :confused:

Sounds like the problem may be elsewhere - eg. a zone valve / 3-port valve not fully operating, so the boiler is not actually being switched on. Should be easy to check since the Micron has only one 'live' connection from the rest of the system.

Do you mean the either of the two valves that opens up for hot water and for CH that are under the floorboards after the pump?

Yes he does. Are they silver metal topped HOneywell ones perhaps? They get opened by the progammer and thermostats and the valves each have a switch in to bring the boiler on - the Switched Live terminal at the boiler, which you could check with a Mains-test screwdriver. With a helper on the programmer you should be able to feel the valves open(quite slowly) and hear then whirr closed again, when they operate. Though some don't whirr...
Feel the levers at the end of the valve head ifyou can, too.
Let us know what you find.

The plumber said he checked both of these when I asked him last week.
Are the honeywell ones not as good. They're not as substantial looking as the Peglers

Had this problem before in relatively new houses in Rushden. More than likely to be the Thermistor sensing lead, two black wires that plug into PCB with sensor into heat exchanger. Anything else should be pretty easy to eliminate with electrical testers

I too am having problems with mine. If turn the knob round and then back on it makes the sound as if its heating but its not doing anything. The "Burner" light is flashing on and off. Sorry to thread jack but its really bugging me. No hot water or heating good job its warm

Kev, i am also from Hartlepool what firm are you from

Micron is notorious for c*** pcb's as admitted by glow worm engineers. If original pcb then suspect this ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back