Glowworm ultimate 50ff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This forum saved me some real grief a couple of years ago so I am hoping it does the same now!

We have had a problem with the boiler due to a blockage on the injector. That now sorted but when we tried the central heating we now have another problem. Pilot is lighting but main burner not coming on. We have 4 lights lit on the PCB which indicates that it is either a multifunctional control problem or the connection between the pcb and the gas valve. Or am I missing something obvious. I am doing the diagnosis myself but getting an engineer to do the work - he seems a bit stumped by it at present! I really don't want to have to replace the pcb or multifunctional unit if possible.

Any help much appreciated!

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like a fault with a gas valve to me.

What did he do with the pilot injector, and has he put it all back correctly.

It does sound like a gas valve fault.

However, its easy to measure to see if the PCB applies a voltage to the second stage of the gas valve.

Thats if your engineer has and knows how to use a multimeter.

This is a very simple boiler and it always amazes me when I hear that people who try to fix boilers cannot ifentify simple faults like this.

I dont think there is a manually reset overheat stat in series with the gas valve on your model.

Tony

Thanks for the quick responses - I will investigate with the engineer. I was trying to link in my mind whether this new problem was associated with the blocked injector. The injector wasn't replaced, the holes were cleaned with a pin and then it was put back. He had done some other diagnostics on the boiler first - checking the SOV etc - do you think if this wasn't put back properly it could have caused the new problem? I have limited understanding but can't quite make the link here although it does seem a coincidence even though the boiler did work ok for a week after the injector was cleaned. It was only when we switched the heating on that the second problem came into play but I'm sure it is linked to the first?!

Jerryg

Sponsored Links
Was the ignition electrode removed at any point? this can be put back in the wrong hole! making the pilot light to far away to reach but close enough to create a spark, giving you a pilot with no rectification. oops!

Not sure it is that because it did work for a while afterwards not unless the probe has been moved somehow? I'll get it checked anyway as a simple solution like that would be fantastic but not too optimistic!

if the pilot assembly has been removed, its a fair chance so has the electrode as its connected to the assembly. It might work intermittently depending on the size of the flame. Otherwise its GV or pcb, depending on whether the main solenoid is getting power or not.

Engineer came around again and did all the checks by the book. It is the gas valve. With the boiler now getting on for 15 years old is it worth replacing this (they cost approx £150) or should I consider a new boiler seriously? I guess I'm talking £1600 with installation for that?

Jerryg

Engineer came around again and did all the checks by the book. It is the gas valve. With the boiler now getting on for 15 years old is it worth replacing this (they cost approx £150) or should I consider a new boiler seriously? I guess I'm talking £1600 with installation for that?

Jerryg

fix it. years left in it yet, and generally very reliable.

Thanks mickyg, I was going down that track so sounds like I am doing the right thing!

Twin solenoid gas valve ... so just change the faulty solenoid costs about 30 quid

Thanks namsag.

I would like to give this a go. Is there any way of finding out which solenoid is bust or checking whether it is this at all? I would hate to buy one or two new solenoids and tehn have tio replace the valve anyway!

jerryg

namsag

Thanks - bought a solenoid for 35 quid, fitted it myself and working a treat. Saved me a lot of cash so again this forum has done the business. I understand a lot more about my boiler now too!

I'm going to have a beer with some of the money I have saved!

jerryg :D

And i thought you had an engineer looking at it. ;)
Dead simple fault , but people like to complicate it instead of straight to basics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back