Glue removal on carpet? How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some carpet that has been glued to the floor. Some bright spark in the past clearly thought this was a good idea.

I can not move it at all, with 3 of us pulling it it move about 4 inches. It carpet tears before we can do any more.

Is there something i can poor over it to dissolve the glue? Its thin carpet stuck to a concrete floor.

Sponsored Links
welcome to what i have to deal with most days of the week!
Try running a stanley blade through it, so your left with 6" strips. You will be able to pull it up now. If not one person needs to pull the strips while another goes at the base with a scraper. Or you can hire a carpet stripper. You will still need to cut it into strips tho.

Dam, thats what i thought someone would say. I was hoping for some super glue removal stuff.

Looks like a weekend spent on me knees with a knife in my hand :eek:

have you tried a (stiff) broad paint scraping knife, maybe sharpened up with a file?

Or a garden spade (really!) if you dont't mind scarring the floor. You can apply lots of force with it.

Sponsored Links
A wallpaper stripper might soften the adhesive if it's one of those carpet adhesives that look like Evo-stick. Then get your scraper under it. Or maybe the wifes hair dryer might do it.

I'd thought about using paint stripper, foam eater or something similar.
I'll have to chuck all sorts over it and see what happens as i need to remove all the glue for damp treating to take place.

I could always use my wire wheel on my grinder.

be very carefull of what cemicals are put down as can affect surface dpm treatment. Also you should shot blast the floor to remove glue before surface dpm is installed.

Have u tried a heat gun or hair dryer?? should do the trick, but try not to burn the carpet, from the part u have ripped up get someone to pull the carpet back as u are heating the carpet from the underside of where u have previously pulled it back.

If you need help or dont understand fully what as im saying please post as I dont think i can explain i fully in words, ill try and get u a picture if it will help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back