glued vinyl flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our kitchen was done in a black slate finish vinyl tile with "grout" lines inserted...pics available if needed or relevant
plywood was laid over the existing chipboard flooring and fixed at short centres then treated to take the adhesive which had to cure for a bit..
that was 3 years ago
there is a squeak now near the back door which i presume is a joint between sheets of plywood i think i may have to remove some tiles to fix the plywood better then refit tiles?..my guess!

the floor seems to be pretty solid but rocking back and forth induces the squeak at that area
i dont have the details of the flooring any more...shame to have to remove it...
edit...polyflor colonia

any help and alternatives greatfully received..

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
as above - because of lack of an expansion gap somewhere.

is this a solid floor or a suspended floor?

Could be the ply rubbing against a skirt or the chipboard which is a big job to fix.

yes sounds a bit like that...sort of scuffing..thanks

as above - because of lack of an expansion gap somewhere.

is this a solid floor or a suspended floor?

suspended floor..had been quarry type tiled before and had to be gunned all off...left a rather ragged surface
thanks

Sponsored Links
before removing any tiles or cutting anything out - attempt to crawl under the floor, and examine the joist tails where they will be seated in or on brickwork - check for movement of any kind , and any rotten wood.

how "ragged" was the surface?

have you recently had a heavy appliance installed in the kitchen?

before removing any tiles or cutting anything out - attempt to crawl under the floor, and examine the joist tails where they will be seated in or on brickwork - check for movement of any kind , and any rotten wood.

how "ragged" was the surface?

have you recently had a heavy appliance installed in the kitchen?

i didnt see the surface as all this was done by others but the old tiling needed a hammer gun to get them off
no heavy stuff put in afterwards...our kitchen is the usual stuff...we have a laundry in the garage so the washer and dryer are there..
cant get access under the floor unfortunately..in any event its a shallow space filled with insulation..its a bungalow
glad of your attention
cheers
geof

as above - because of lack of an expansion gap somewhere. is this a solid floor or a suspended floor?

had the flooring chaps in today...they diagnosed the flooring is just as you suggested..
they are going to take up all the tiles and ply and then check the flooring for gaps and tight bits etc and correct and renew as necessary, ...
fix new ply and retile/plank

as it happens we can change to a the plank style in the hall now which i should have done originally 4 years ago when we got the sitting room and hall done then
my wife is fed up with the dark slate finish.

thanks again..All!!
for your inputs

cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back