Gluing vinyl tiles onto a floating floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Title kind of covers the questions.

My partner has finally got fed up with the cheap temporary self adhesive tiles in the kitchen that have done us a few years, and bought some expensive vinyl tiles.

I'm definitely removing the self adhesive tiles, but they are laid onto a very high quality floating laminate floor- think it's all Kardean (?) and appears to have been professionally installed very well.

It looks to me, that the floating subfloor is secure enough to glue the tiles to. The new tiles are not click- they will be glued separately with space around each tile for grout.

If the floating floor needs removing there is a plywood base underneath, but I think I would need to add another (thin) layer to build the height up.

Sponsored Links
The Karndean won't be a floating floor (or at least unlikely to be their Korlock.Looselay product) , it will be fully bonded to the Ply that you are describing.

The correct way to prepare the area is to lift the tiles, lift the Karndean, lift the Ply, re-Ply with flooring grade SP101 6mm Ply and fit your new floor.

You may be able to renovation screed over the ply if the Karndean comes up fairly clean.

Anything else is a bit of corner cutting regarding floor prep etc that may affect the quality of the finish of your new floor.

Are you sure that you have laminate flooring?

Is there a timber molding running around the perimeter of the room? If yes, if you apply weight near the skirting board, does the floor dip down very slightly?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how you both knew.......... but it turns out the subfloor was more vinyl tiles- not a floating laminate floor as I thought!

They've come up very cleanly, so with a little prep we should be good to go.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back