Laying Vinyl onto Concreate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am re-doing my kitchen and have taken up some old vinyl tiles. Underneath those are more tiles laid onto concreate floor.

My question is, that the concreate under the tiles has some sort of bituman based product on it which i cannot remove. Can i lay vinyl straight on top of this? Or will i need a plywood subfloor?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have read some more posts on removing bitumen from conreate.

General concensus is to try and remove as much as possible with chisel and kerosene?

Will this give me a good enough finish to put vinyl on top though? Its a lot of hard graft if i will have to lay a subfloor anyway?

Would i be better off laying ceramic/stone tiles or laminate?

Thanks for your help guys :D

You cant lay vinyl on top. The bitumen will bleed through and stain the flooring. You must put levelling compound on top. ( not plywood ). Scrape up any deep or soft pools so left with hard (black) base. Prime and lay compound. ( Acrylic prop your best bet) Read the sticky at the top!

Thanks Mattysupra

I seem to have done something slightly stupid.... when i fitted the new kitchen there were larger areas of just concreate so i lay the kitchen on top of this. This means that if i use levelling compound it will go around the feet of the kitchen cabinets. Is this ok?
Could i put a line of sealant ont he floor so it level to lip? (hope that makes sense)

Sorry i'm a bit new to this forum and cant seem to see the right info on the sticky

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back