Glueing a garden hose to non standard tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

The tap I want to feed my hose from is non standard. I can get an 'okay' fit by pushing the plastic screwthread at the end of the hose onto the little plastic end of the tap. It feels reasonably tight but unfortunately the whole hose quickly shoots off the tap with even a little bit of water pressure when the other end of the hose is switched to the off position (which it regularly needs to be).

The lack of 'hold' is obviously made worse by the fact that there are only 20mm of materials in contact with each other and the area of contact is a screwthread against a flat surface.

So the dilema is 'what to do'?! Please don't say 'use another tap' or suchlike - this is the scenario I have to work with!

My initial thought is obviously to use glue (I'm happy to leave the hose on permanently). Which glue would you use to bond the parts bearing in mind the following:

It needs to be very strong / permanent / withstand high pressures
It needs to bond a hard plastic connector to a hard plastic end of tap
It needs to be waterproof

Superglue stands out as a first choice (although is it waterproof when dry?) but I have a reservation. If superglue is applied too thickly it becomes brittle / ineffective, but in this case it would need to be applied thickly to fill all the holes of the screwthread on the connector. Maybe an epoxy / something else would pad out / fix better?

'Answers on a postcard' please!

Sponsored Links
Glue! :rolleyes:

Fit an outside tap and your hose will fit straight onto it with a jubilee clip. :D

<Please don't say 'use another tap' or suchlike - this is the scenario I have to work with!>

base_media

Sponsored Links
:D That's exactly what I need! What would it called / searched for on Google? Thanks chrishut!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back