Push Connector leaks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Kinetico water softener system with a separate tap for drinking water. This drinking water tap broke and needs replacing. I have taken out the old tap, and have an exact replacement, which has metal screwthread which joins to a push connector valve (?) which in turn attaches to the thin plastic water hose. Trouble is, after connecting it all up, water leaks from the top of the push connector valve (the bit which screws into the metal screwthread of the tap). I have used the old push connector valve (which never used to leak), and also tried a new one - same problem (in fact it leaks at more pressure!).
I have detached the water hose pipe and reconnected, ensuring that it clicks, and it doesn't leak from that end, so I don't think that is a problem. What am I missing??
All I have done is to screw the metal thread into the plastic thread of the connector to just past hand tight. Do I need to do something else?
PS Both a newbie and rubbish at DIY...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I have just tried to take some photos, but my camera battery is dead :rolleyes: - am charging it up now. What sort of washer would I need; is teflon tape the same as PTFE tape? I have got some brown thick putty type gloop, which I think I used for some other pipes - would this do? The other tap certainly didn't have any of this on it (or a washer), and the only washer type thing has teeth on the inside of the ring. I thought that this was for going between the tap and the top of the work surface to stop it slipping round, but I could certainly be wrong about that. I did notice that the old tap had a plastic tube in the middle of it, with 'TRUE SEAL' written on the outside, but this will not fit in the new tap, because it narrows slightly after an inch, and won't go past.
Any other ideas before I get the photos posted?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
My thanks to bengasman.
I bought some PTFE tape yesterday, and wrapped it round the thread from the tap. After researching how to use it elsewhere on this forum (put it on in the same direction as the conector bolt will turn, wrap it tightly, and make sure it moulds into the threads), I put on two turns, screwed it together, and it still leaked :eek: . So I repeated this process, adding two more turns of tape, and re-trying, until after a total of eight turns of the PTFE tape, I reconnected, and the leak had stopped. I was quite amazed at how much the tape actually squashes into the threads.
Anyway, all's well that ends well, and my thanks to this forum for saving me the £70 charge which Kinetico had quoted me for fixing the tap in the first place, and (maybe more importantly?) allowing me a rare victory in the world of DIY.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back