Glueing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to lay strips of birch ply as a budget flooring in my hallway. I would prefer not to see any fixings. I was thinking of using parquet glue but would I have problems with expansion and contraction?
Thanks for any insights.

Sponsored Links
Do your strips have tongue and groove?
Is so then the normal approach it to nail or staple through the edge with the groove so it is hidden.

If not, you could glue a steel stip to the back of the boards and install a huge magnet under the floorboards - should make installation an interesting process though - mind those fingers :)

No t&g and unfortunately no magnet. Might glueing lead flashing to the underside of the boards make them heavy enough to stay in place?

Ply is very stable dimensionally , but why no visible fixing? , not going to look very pretty with or without .

Sponsored Links
Ply is very stable dimensionally , but why no visible fixing? , not going to look very pretty with or without .
Going to paint it. Should look OK. Wife doesn’t want it too smart. I would have gone for hardwood. Maybe parquet.

Then screw it down and fill screw holes.

Unfortunately the filler in the screw holes may eventually blow very slightly in time as the ply expands and contracts. I see that happen a lot when using 2 pack filler. The likes of RedDevil OneTime tend to be more forgiving but are too soft for flooring.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back