Opinions requested: Parquet in straight lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a job lot of reclaimed tongue and groove oak parquet flooring. I'm not a huge fan of herringbone or patterned floors and was wondering whether I can get away with laying the parquet in straight lines, with each line offset against the next?

I can't remember having seen this anywhere in solid wood, but have seen a similar design printed on a vinyl floor. I just wondered whether it would possible with the real thing, or should I expect problems due to the expansion / contraction of the wood?

Would glueing the pieces together with wood glue while laying the floor be worthwhile? (I really don't want gaps between the pieces when finished).

I'm planning to glue the parquet straight onto a solid floor with a 15mm gap all round, with the gap to be covered by skirting once finished. I've also read that I shouldn't lay the floor in straight strips, but work from a corner.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

thanks,

Ross

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back