Glueing metal stair nosing to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've bought some aluminium nosing that I need to glue to my engineered wood to finish my stair makeover.
This is the nosing https://www.gradus.com/ar81r
The manufacturer reccomends Gradus grip https://www.gradus.com/gradus-grip which is 7.5£ per tube (I think I need 4) but also charge 25£ for delivery.
Does it sound like I could use something similar and readily evailable at SF or TS?

Sponsored Links

They mention misting the surfaces with water. That leads me to think that it is a polyurethane product (it uses the water as a catalyst).

Had I not see that, I might have recommended a MS polymer (eg CT1).

Other people sell their products, they may have cheaper delivery costs. eg

I'm surprised the recommend an adhesive - almost all the nosings I've fitted required a mechanical fixing (i.e. screws) as well as adhesive. I think a high quality D4 polyurethane would deliver similar results - but I'd have my doubts about using a polymer adhesive due to the possibility of it debonding over time

I'm surprised the recommend an adhesive - almost all the nosings I've fitted required a mechanical fixing (i.e. screws) as well as adhesive. I think a high quality D4 polyurethane would deliver similar results - but I'd have my doubts about using a polymer adhesive due to the possibility of it debonding over time

Fair play regarding MS polymers.

I had wondered if the OP could drill countersunk holes and then use 3mm screws but I can't tell if the anti slip insert can be lifted out.

Sponsored Links

These Noisings are designed for commercial installation to things like communal staircases and usually - bit not exclusively - are fitted to concrete floors. Traditional installation would be pre-drilled and plugged AND glued down but they can be ordered un-drilled.

Grip Fill and a heavy weight will glue to concrete but is a bit excessive for Engineered Wood, these will look ugly but a strong adhesive should do the trick.

A better option would for the OP to order the correct Stairs Nosing for Engineered floor - assuming the project is'nt too far past completion and that it could be incroporated into the installation, we would normally at least long pin the nosing into a wood subfloor for extra stability or, Grip Fill again should be ok as long as their is plenty of meat on the step to glue to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back