Glugging kitchen sink

Just be very careful if cutting into or dismantling the pipework, (or shoving a snake up), those chemicals you've used will melt flesh and tissue. Decent goggles and stout gloves, (over full length sleeves), are very much advised, chemical burns are nasty, and this is your last pair of eyes! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell! I was hoping they'd have washed away by now :eek:

Get a plunger and plunge the sink, a pump plunger like one of these would be best

93465.jpg

Already tried one of those and a traditional plunger :(

Problem with pressure cleaners is they are only effective if the blockage completely fill the pipe and the pressure pushes it clear. A partial blockage will still let water (and air) through, as you've found out. Mechanical means are the only option on a partially bunged up pipe. (A 'Snake' or similar.)

You can never be sure how much chemical may still be hanging about, some are like a gel, which congeals and can cling. Always better safe than sorry.

Sponsored Links
Problem with pressure cleaners is they are only effective if the blockage completely fill the pipe and the pressure pushes it clear. A partial blockage will still let water (and air) through, as you've found out.

Not often I disagree with you hugh but I have managed to clear a few partials like that one using one of those pumps, not that one specifically, the one I have has a larger sealing end and bigger body so you can get a a fair bit of pressure if you get a good push pull with a good slug of water in the pipe then it can be enough pressure for most of the hair/soapy/food/debris type gooey partial blockages that form in sink wastes, unless it's real stubborn/hard blockage of course. :whistle:

That being said it should really have had a rodding access tee either at the top or the bottom of that drop.

I've finally got round to putting the snake down but after lots of pushing twisting and pulling it went round the first bend and flatly refused to go round the next one. It's still inside the house and hasn't even reached outside yet. I tried going from the other end outside but the same thing, it gets to the first turn and refuses to move.
What am I doing wrong? Could it be I need a smaller size snake? Or is it something in the method I'm doing wrong. I've tried turning and turning it but it just kinks up the snake outside the pipe.

I've just checked and it's a 9mm wide snake - is it too big?

I tried it from the outside and it went up there fine, no blockage there. It just will not go through the pipe inside :(

If you've tried everything then it's gong to be sticking an Antivac trap on it but that's just hiding an issue that may get worse.

If it was me then it's time to cut access into sections and see if you can find the restriction, then use a straight coupler and some solvent weld to repair any cuts.

I was hoping for something simpler before I go down that route :( If there's nothing else I can try then I'll have to chase the landlord.
Is the glugging just annoying like my family reckon or does it need tackling?

It can be annoying to some but it's not that much of an issue to me but it is an indication of something not right and should be fixed. Would the landlord do it .... hmmmm .... he may think you're just being a bit pedantic TBH.

He does with a lot of things until they get to disaster level LOL. I don't think he'll be very interested unless it's completely blocked up.

Get two bottles of one shot .......be very careful using it.

One bottle poured down leave it for 15 minutes.....very slowly open a hot tap ...it can spit so very very slowly when you can run hot water through it run it.

Slowly then do the same again.

That will fix it ......https://www.selcobw.com/one-shot-drain-cleaner-1ltr

It's sulphuric acid ......really ! It will do the job .......when you finished run the
cold tap for 10 minutes

DO NOT USE ONE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the pipe work apart or replace, or call out someone to clear it for you.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back