Our kitchen sink is going GLUG... GLUG... GLUG...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi knowledgeable folk,

Our kitchen sink is draining quickly without any issues so doesn't appear to be blocked. However, after emptying the pipework under the sink makes a loud glug sound every second or so for 5 to 10 minutes. It can be felt if one touches the pipes too. It's not a gurgle as I know it.

It's driving us mad. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm hoping it's not the drain outside as that's in our conservatory and boxed in having been raised and covered.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
try some one shot from b&q or plumbcentre if there is any blockage that'll clear it

Sorry to say, but of it's just started doing it, it could be a partial blockage in the drain.

Assuming you've boxed in what was an open gulley, a partial blockage could back up until the end of the sink drain pipe is submerged, and then start drawing the trap as the water level in the gulley drops, producing the gurgling.

According to Josiah Sodd's first law concerning the general cussedness of nature - 'The interval between maintenance tasks is inversely proportional to the difficulty of access.' - or, to put ot another way, if you can't get at it, it will go wrong, but if you can, then it won't.

Adding an air admittance valve to the sink trap may stop the sound effects, but it won't address the root cause of the problem, which will probably get worse.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the responses.

I should've said that it only started once the drain had been been raised and covered. It was an open gully before and didn't cause this problem so the syphoning theory makes perfect sense.

I'll pop to B&Q for some One Shot and see if that sorts it out.

Thanks again.

Don't pour one shot down your sink, it is a very powerful chemical.

I recommend that it is not used indoors.

Please read the instructions.......twice!

Andy

Don't pour one shot down your sink, it is a very powerful chemical.

I recommend that it is not used indoors.

Please read the instructions.......twice!

Andy

and under no circumstances use it if your washing machine waste is connected to a combi sink trap unless theres a non return valve fitted on the WM waste ;)

Don't pour One Shot down the sink, Nor down any pipes indoors. The April posted reply said the same; it is a very powerful chemical. PLUS, if you have possibly already tried conventional bleach this will react with One Shot and produce extremely noxious & dangerous gases!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back