Gluing toilet pan to tiles?

Sponsored Links
I've recently done an install on a house refurb where I couldn't screw the pans down as the tiles were too hard to drill - even the tiler's pro wet kit wouldn't touch them. I used Sticks Like Sh*t Clear, placed the pans in position then pumped half a tube through each fixing hole (one pan was actually quite a long way out of level so it was also possible to pump some under the front edge after levelling). Both are very firmly stuck down, it took a couple of days for it to go off properly but I'd recommend this method where screw fixings are not practical. It works better when your pan is a top-fix of course, when the pan needs fixing from the side via plastic L-brackets it presents more of a challenge and may require a different approach...

I'd expect this to be a permanent solution under normal usage conditions

a man with 30 years experience should be able to come up with a method of fixing a pan down.

Sponsored Links
I used Sticks Like Sh*t Clear

What is that?

Picture32.jpg

Thanks for the picture. This Evo Stick product. Is it like Gripfix, No More Nails, etc? Just a clear adhesive? Can the pan be removed, or do you need to take a hammer to it?

Reading this thread, some great responses,

1. The strong adhesives means the pan is permanently stuck down.

2. There are various grades of silicon that are also great adhesives, but the pan can be remove.

What products fill No. 2 above.

This thread, to me, has brought up the various sealants and adhesives. There are so many, that the likes to Screwfic and Toolstation have larges sections on the ranges they sell.

Toolstation for example have this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+Sealants/Grab+Adhesive/d180/sd3199

Quite a lot, and then there is Screwfix's range which is larger. That is just two prominent merchants.

I have used this Stixall. I used it around a shower tray where it meets the walls. It is water proof and sticks the tray against the wall, so no creep. Great stuff.

BUT!! Look at Toolstation and Screwfix there are a multitude of products by many makers. Screwfix and Toolstation even have their own brands which are cheap to buy.

1. Which is the best to use?
2. Which is the strongest adhesive?
3. Which is strong but can be broken?
4. Which is best to use in value for money?
5. Which is an adhesive and a silicon type of finish - all in one?

A baffling choice to even the hardened pro I would think.

A good quality silicone ?? dow corning will do , sticks like s**t is not like no nails grip fill ect , it does not go rock hard , have used it loads of times

Think I did bed a pan down with it ounce , with that & mastic u will get the pan up with a sharp knife , grip fill I doubt it , so I would not use it !!

In the good old days we never use to fluff around with mastics ect use to get stuck in , sand & cement :)

A good quality silicone ?? dow corning will do , sticks like s**t is not like no nails grip fill ect , it does not go rock hard , have used it loads of times

Think I did bed a pan down with it ounce , with that & mastic u will get the pan up with a sharp knife , grip fill I doubt it , so I would not use it !!

It looks like Stick Like Sh*t is the product then to stick down toilet pans. Or one of them. The others? Well????

Mastics? I have never really figured out where mastic or silicon would be used. Mastic tends to be for structural work. I would think mastic would have been replaced by silicon sealants these days.

Mastic's or silicone , tend to use the name as a general description , bit like the name hoover for vac cleaner ?? use silicone based any way , some bathroom sealants are not silicone (cheap ?)

were would you use mastics / silicone ?? take a look at your car ??

If you ever get involved in kit car construction (build your own car ) mastic / silicone is part of your tool kit , one I built was probably held toigether with it :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back