Going as self employed plumber any help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am coming to an end of my 3 years at college.
I have just been told if i want my full nvq lev2 I have to get public liability insurance and do 2 jobs why teacher comes out to the job.
I have also been told i need to go self employed and start a business to do this.
Only thing is I currently work full time 6-2pm. So to start with I will only be doing little jobs etc
Questions are
Who is the best and cheapest insurance to go with, and how do i go about being self employed what do i do etc
What am i allowed to earn

any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
shop around, i found zurich were a couple of quid cheaper than others

What a load of absolute nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are not employed by a plumber then you are a fool as NVQ2 is as far as you go as you will need to be employed in the industry to get NVQ3 which is really the only one that matters and is respected (sort of)

How have you put yourselve through NVQ2 young? have you not done ANYTHING plumb wise during the last two years????

I cannot believe that your training provider is so irresponsible as to advise you to go "self employed" with (taking it as red that you have done nothing on site for twenty four months that an external verifyer could have seen to ok you for a full NVQ2) NO practical experiance whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he joking?

Zurich were the cheapest for me, well I say cheap still a fair few bob.
Contact the inland revenue to register as self employed they will send you all the bumf on it.
You are allowed to earn £100,000 a year or so the papers were saying a few years back :!:

Check your info again as NVQ L2 means you should already be employed to accumulate your portfolio you do not have to be self employed. I may be incorrect but it was not that way years ago when I was in college.

Good luck and do not steal any of my business lol
Pete

Sponsored Links
NO

get a job and get your NVQ3 and learn it

sheesh, without a real in depth knowledge of the trade you will find it stressful to the max!!!

Being self employed means you are ALONE, no one to turn to for advise or to cover your backside or make a bad situation better.

if all you have done is pop to college once a week for the last two years then you will either die a death as a self employed plumber cos you NOT be able to do everything that comes to you, or you will be stressed to the max cos you will TRY to do everything that comes to you.

Self employement is ok but you really need to know the ins and outs of a ducks a r se when it comes to the job to make a living and NVQ2 WITHOUT practical experiance does not even come close

How come a verifying could not see stuff of yours to satisfy the portfolio????

Believe you me even with twenty odd years experiance self employment sucks the big one

I have been self employed and employed and being on your own is a hard life and the only piece of advice i can give to you is listen to people who have been there and take on board there advice and good luck with the future peter

Thanks for all the advice
The college are a joke to be honest we have had 3 different teachers in this time.
The course is the nvq level 2 plumbing and heating.It is not the apprentice one.
It is 2 nights a week but to get the full nvq level 2 this is appently what we have to do.
I would much more prefer to start work with a company but they dont want to know to i pass the nvq so its catch 22

get a job and get your NVQ3 and learn it

Hear hear.

Im a gas engineer, but by doing the NVQ3 i have learnt invaluable knowledge.

Hated the project on installing a sprinkler system though. Still waiting for someone to ask me to install one! Ill feel justified for my time and effort on the project if and when I do.

Oh, and boosted mains....... Grundfos just love me :mad:

corgiman said:
Believe you me even with twenty odd years experiance self employment sucks the big one

I totally agree though I only have 4 years, It sucks. Plumbing is most definately so last season.

The only advantage to being self employed is not having to work for incompetent people who know considerably less than yourself. The disadvantage is realising that you can't do/ don't know everything and there's no to blame.
If I could find another job outside plumbing that paid the bills I'd pack it all in tomorrow.

Paul Barker said:
corgiman said:

I totally agree though I only have 4 years, It sucks. Plumbing is most definately so last season.

Dont get me started

you should see my work boots, manolo's they are not
Sniff ;)

Sponsored Links
Back