Going forward with updating old heating / hot water system in bungalow

Depends how recently they've moved in, in suppose.
I lived in a house with WAH and it was awful.

It seemed to spread dust around and barely heated the house to an acceptable level.
And what warm air there was was unpleasant (can't really describe why in words).

If they've been in for some of the cold days we've had recently and not found it lacking, then fair enough.

Sponsored Links
Must admit I don't have any personal knowledge of this type of system ,only taking op' s statement that they are keen to keep it and are happy with it. Did yours have filtration built in ,or filters that homeowner had to change regularly copea ? Maybe op has to build up more experience of their system before he can properly evaluate if its worth keeping .

I know if it was me id be fitting a combi with a mixer shower asap it would fit your needs perfectly. If you are intent on keeping the wau Whatever you do get it serviced regulary by someone who knows what they are doing as they have the potential to become very dangerous given its age I would be looking to scrap it but each to there own.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input everyone.

We moved in in January and at first were a bit worried about the heating but I must say I have actually been impressed. It is great not having radiators everywhere and it is very fast to heat up and gets rather toasty! As it has been well serviced we will this WAH out for sure. I think combi boiler is too much of a cost at this stage and without heating from it seems a bit pointless.

My main area to look into now is where to fit the pump with minimum disruption but also doing a proper job. I always thought pumps were near the shower but many diagrams seem to show pumps feeding taps etc as well. This would help as I can reuse pipes. As there is only hot water taps in kitchen bathroom / shower it wont have competing demands. The Bathroom sink is in the same room as shower and I would hope to isolate the kitchen hot water so as to not be fed by the pump.

I would go down route of laying a new hot water pressured pipe to the bathroom as it is not a huge distance but it would be a bit of a pain pulling floor boards up. Unless going up to the attic with the pressured hot water from the pump is an option and back down into the bathroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back