going it alone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would like some views pls. moving to west midlands. thinking of setting up on my own . just doing landlord certs 60 quid a pop 4 a day. how possible is this?big area with plenty of business, landlords agents etc.

Sponsored Links
What?, the whole West Midlands?, that's quite an area. I've never actually found anyone who makes a living from landlords checks tbh, it seems like the holy grail of an easy life but fairly tricky to find landlords who don't already have a letting agent / gas fitter.

really. i though bit of advertising, cheaper price give it a year for repeat business. you really think its the holy grail? fires that never have been checked ,bbu never been checked. i know the private sector is hard. under no illusiions about that. just doesnt seem that hard to do. 4
a day for birm, cov must be achieveable??

There will always be someone willing to undercut you to do the lgsc. Think it will be doubtful whether you could maintain 4 a day, everyday either without getting onside with a large letting agent.

Sponsored Links
but you can't just do Birmingham surely?, take you the best part of a day to get from solihull to erdington on a Friday!! :eek:

There will always be someone willing to undercut you to do the lgsc. Think it will be doubtful whether you could maintain 4 a day, everyday either without getting onside with a large letting agent.

Then you'll have to compete with those who cut corners as well. Remember most landlords only want the certificate and there are plently who'll play percentages and write one out after a quick visual & soundness check.

hello,
could someone clarify . is a full electrical test on rental properties a legal requirement before renting like gas and epc? what about pat testing? is that also compulsory? thanks

What?, the whole West Midlands?, that's quite an area. I've never actually found anyone who makes a living from landlords checks tbh, it seems like the holy grail of an easy life but fairly tricky to find landlords who don't already have a letting agent / gas fitter.

Not to mention the robbing bloody landlords/letting agents that only want to pay you 30 quid for doing it!!

Electrical test not required before letting, i think around every 10 years or so if at all.
Pat testing is not compulsory at all, only advisory.

Electrical test not required before letting, i think around every 10 years or so if at all.
Pat testing is not compulsory at all, only advisory.

Its recommended on change of ownership or every ten years :cool:

Not that anyone bothers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back