Going rate for replacement fascias and guttering?

BFG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite a DIY question, but - I will tackle most things that don't include heights. When it involves messing around at roof level - I prefer to call in the craftsmen.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, but the prices have gone nuts compared with just a few years ago.

We're being quoted between £100 and £120 per metre for replacement soffits, facias, guttering and downpipes.

With 25m perimeter, that means £3000. I can buy the materials in Wickes for £300 all in. The guys will be finished in 2 days.

£1350 a day? I'm in the wrong job!

Am I missing something? What's the feeling on this board - anyone else had this done? What about other trades?

Sponsored Links
there is a new european regulation (working at heights), section 14 of the heights at work act, sub section 7, paragrapgh 3 subsection IV that states:

"when working higher than 2 metres above ground level, there shall be employed a physical means of elevating the person or persons who are carrying out their duties (work) in such a manner as not to cause injury or death to any persons working or passing or any member of the public who is intentionaly or unitentionaly passing the said area of work.

The method of physical elevation should be such that it can withstand the weight of the person or persons working at such heights along with the combined mass of the equipment being worked with and the mass of the equipment used to elevate the person or persons to the said height at which the person or persons will be carrying out their duty (work)

The means of elevation should also be indicated in a visual manor to indicate that the elevation method is actually present in the location that it actually is."

sounds good doesn't it, i made it all up.

I think the real answer is ground force, (i am not joking) since this has hit our tv screens that has been a whole pletherer of make over / diy shows / spin offs. since then the price of "decorative" work has gone up due to "every one wants it now"

The best advice i can offer is shop around try yellow pages. also it may be that although wickes have all the materials for £300, it may not be the same quality as else wher (but i can not see it costing THAT much more)

BFG said:
£1350 a day? I'm in the wrong job!

Yes you're in the wrong job and so am I !!

Round my area they are charging approx £80 a metre !

Last year I've done my next door neighbour who has a quote £4400 from a company on a bungalow (fascia,soffit,gutter & one gable end)

So we bought the materials from 'Mr Plastic' which cost approx £420 !!!!!!!!! Took me 3 days to completed it. I didn't charges him as I've know him for years,took me & missus out for a free meal !

£3980 profit in 3 days!!!!! and it's easier than carpentry.

Get a scaffolding firm in and ask them to put in extra handrail etc to make you feel safe.

Mr Plastic website see this. Good quality & price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back