Replacement Fascia, Soffit & All Gutters/Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Whilst i have the youngman tower at home i am going to make full use of it and replace my fascia, soffit and all rainwater goods around my house, the questions i have are:
1) Would you rip off the old timber fascia and (possibly asbestos) soffit and replace to the timber ends? - reasons for your answer
2) Would you Cap over the existing fascia and soffit?
3) Would you replace the soil stack too?
4) On the side elevation of my house i have no soffit, only fascia boards, is there a reason for this and should i/can i fasten a soffit?

I currently have 3X lengths of squarline guttering, 2x Lenght of downpipe and brackets etc, 2x Length of 18MM Fascia/capping and the same in soffit but i suspect if i am ripping old off for new then ill need more than 18MM?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1030054.JPG
    P1030054.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 209
  • P1030053.JPG
    P1030053.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 172
  • P1030050.JPG
    P1030050.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 178
  • P1030048.JPG
    P1030048.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 196
  • P1030046.JPG
    P1030046.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
If you've never done it before then just cap it. If you replace then you'll need to strip off two rows of tiles first as a lot of them will come crashing down when you take the fascia off. Plus the azzy will break up when you remove it and you don't really want that. If you do replace then 18mm is fine.

If you cap it then use the 18mm you have in stock as capping for the gable to save wasting it as you've got plenty of tile overhang.

Hi mate,

thanks for the reply, i will just cap over it then, it all seems rot free from what i have messed with.

How would you suggest i fix the gable end soffit up as there are only three timbers? would i add a few more noggins?

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

3) Would you replace the soil stack too?
4) On the side elevation of my house i have no soffit, only fascia boards, is there a reason for this and should i/can i fasten a soffit?

Thanks
I wouldn't bother with the soil stack - just clean it with soap and water while you're up there. No need to fasten a soffit on side elevation -3 timbers are fine ( same as mine) fix capping all round with Poly Top ring shank nails

Hi mate,

thanks for the reply, i will just cap over it then, it all seems rot free from what i have messed with.

How would you suggest i fix the gable end soffit up as there are only three timbers? would i add a few more noggins?

No mate just pin to the inner and outer rafters/ladder frame thingy. As long as they both the same level? Difficult to see from the photo.

Hello again all,

So, i have still not completed this job, i am in the process of buying in the bits i am missing to complete, so... i jumped out of my bedroom window onto the room and did some investigations to check for rot etc.

I do have some rot in a few places of the timber, not a massive amount but its there, should i be cutting these bits out or can i just seal/treat the area and cap over them?
IMG_4701.JPG

Also, the end of my gable where there should be a box end also looks a bit worse for ware, should i worry about this lot of cap on over? Pics are attached.

My main question here though and one that i cant get straight in my mind is this, the current timber fasica has an overhang of 15mm (below the current soffit) it measures 6" to the bottom of my tiles so i have opted for a 6" Capping fasica this in mind that the external is 6" so im guessing it will sit just below my tiles once covered, now, how would i cap over my sofit? would i rip it down to sit in the recess and hope that the lip of my fascia will catch it? cut the over hang off the bottom of my fascia so that my sofit will fit tight and flush? run some roof battens and fasten through the azzy sheets / cement boards into the roof timbers and fasten my sofit to them?

Or am i missing the "Correct" way?

Also, can anyone advise how i can tell if this is asbestos or some other board?

many thanks
IMG_4702.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4710.JPG

P1030067.JPG

P1030072.JPG

Re: front and back

Don't cut the lip off the timber fascia as the azzy relies on the little rebate to hold it in place. Plant a lath along the back edge, fixing it into the brickwork not the azzy. You then fit your soffit from the wall all the way to the outside edge of the existing timber fascia (so you'll need a deeper fascia) check your windows will open though before attempting to do it this way.

By the way, it's not like you have a simple 2 up 2 down square house. Why don't you just a firm in to do it?
Lots of angles and access problems to get over.

What are the things on the lower tiled roof with bits cut out of them? Just noticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back