Golf 7 5G1 2.0 TDI rear pads change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has an electric handbrake.

Is there anything complex about changing the rear pads I need to be aware of?

thanks

Sponsored Links
No. Will be the same as my Audi. Release the handbrake. Remove the wiring and the two bolts that hold the EPB pinion onto the calliper, wind the epb spline back with a suitable socket, push the piston back as per a normal calliper piston, fit the pads, fit the epb unit, apply the handbrake, job done.

E86AFF28-B926-45BE-96B1-3D6527FCF8BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Follow Mottie instructions but at the end, before applying the epb, pump the brakes until you get hard pedal.
Then apply the epb.
Audi mechanic told me they do this when vcds unit is busy and it worked on my VW and Audi.

Noted, many thanks!

By the way, which brakes manufactures are OE supply VAG these days?

Sponsored Links
Oh, and if the Golf is anything like my Audi, it's not easy to get an Allen key onto the calliper bolts. I ended up using a bit with a 10mm bit on the other end that I put in my 10mm ratchet spanner.

B9A49E56-83EC-4035-8949-9EBD89772F90.jpeg

Last edited:
Noted, many thanks!

By the way, which brakes manufactures are OE supply VAG these days?
Ate, brembo, pagid, ferodo, etc.
They seem to be using whatever they can get their hands on first.
I use brembo discs and pads on my Passat and they're great.
Ate on the Audi as they were there from factory, so I just kept replacing for the same ones.

Have ordered BluePrint pads and discs.

I've read that the carrier and caliper bolts should be replaced with new.

Yep. I've replaced the rear discs and pads recently on both my Golf and my A3. They're not stretch bolts so I don't see why they should be replaced. In fact, on my Golf I didn't need to remove the calliper carrier bolts - the discs just 'wiggled' in.

Yep. I've replaced the rear discs and pads recently on both my Golf and my A3. They're not stretch bolts so I don't see why they should be replaced. In fact, on my Golf I didn't need to remove the calliper carrier bolts - the discs just 'wiggled' in.
Exactly, same as the Passat.

In fact, on my Golf I didn't need to remove the calliper carrier bolts - the discs just 'wiggled' in.

Have you any idea what the brake code is for your Golf's rear brakes?

Mine is 1KE, disc diameter 272 mm . If yours is similar, I may be able to wiggle the discs out. The carrier bolts, I've read, torque to 200Nm so there's a good chance they wont even come loose if they're a allen key head like the Boras.

Sponsored Links
Back