Changing Clio REAR brake disc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change a rear brake disc tomorrow, as it has a massive crack in it. It's an 04 Clio, with ABS. Will I have any probs just removing caliper, changing disc and sliding caliper back on? My main doubt is the handbrake. Can I just leave it connected (with handbrake off) ? Also I believe there is an ABS 'ring' , never seen one, does it just stay in place?
I won't be changing pads (I have my reasons).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can leave the handbrake cable connected, no problem. The ABS reluctor ring is actually on the inner grease seal of the wheel bearing. On some Clio's, the disc is incorporated with the hub and bearing, and aren't available separately. You may have to press the caliper piston in - but it must be turned at the same time....clockwise for 'in'. The caliper is held on by 2 13mm bolts - use loctite on the threads when you re use them. The caliper securing bracket may also need to come off to allow the disc to come clear - it depends on the disc diameter. Cheers John

Thanks for the help. It looks easy but I'm stuck already! Do I remove the whole caliper? Can't see how I can do that with the handbrake cable still attached, which makes me think I don't. Last time I did it (20 years ago) I removed two bolts that run crossways to the car, and the whole caliper could be hung by a bit of string (maybe it was the front). On this car there are another two bolts, which run lengthways to the car. It looks like if I remove these, half the caliper will come off, leaving the inner bit that has the handbrake attached. Is it these two bolts?
Also, do I need to remove the central hub cap (type thing), or does it come away with the disc?
Really appreciate your help...

Sponsored Links
there is probably 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper carrier.
So, whip the 2 bolts out of the caliper, and tie it back out the way. Then you'll need to remove the caliper carrier (bracket that the caliper bolts to).

You'll probably find it easier to remove the handbrake cable, and shouldn't be too much aggro to do it.
As for removing the hub, generally if there is a countersunk screw in the disc, then thats all that holds it on. If not, you'll need to take the hub nut / bearings off.

Back