golf gti mk4 running problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, any help would be massively appreciated.

Over the last year or so my mk4 has this problem which only seems to occur when i go over 80 odd mph, then once i slow down to a standstill the revs would keep dropping really low on the verge of stalling so the whole car shakes, and the revs bounce up and down. Then that will make it hard to pull away as when i find the bite and push on accelerator to move nothing happens even with my foot right down to the floor, then the revs will come back up and the power comes back; it makes me bunny hop through first and second but once i'm moving along it doesn't seem to affect it. When i'm in second gear sometimes i can feel the power seem to go and it feels like i'm being pulled back. As i said its happened a few times, first couple it (typically) stopped when on my way to the garage to get it looked at and the mechanic couldn't find any problem, then a few times after that it seems to clear if i rev it hard when out of gear, almost seems like it's unblocking something; but this time that isn't helping at all and i can't get it to the mechanic until next week.

I've had numerous hoses changed as mechanic thought it may be an air leak from somewhere, and as i say if i drive cautiously and dont 'rag' it then problem doesn't occur so is fine, and has been for a few months but today it totally slipped my mind and i ended up giving it some down the dual carriagway which is when i realised i was an idiot as it had started up again.

Has anyone experienced this before or heard of it? Or even a quick fix for it so i can get it running normally again ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back