Good Efficient Uncomplicated Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had several suggestions re- a new house alarm system.

Our original alarm had numerous PIR type sensors, about 12 of them, a suggestion from a friend was to only fit window and door sensors.

How are window sensors fitted when all the windows are opening lights and without being obtrusive.

Sponsored Links
Forget the advise from friends & get a couple of professional Cos. to give you quotes & advise, they will know what they are talking about.

Windows, hope you like cables!

I only fit door and window contacts to front and rear doors and to patio doors. As for windows , better to have a pir in the room or it gets expensive putting a contact on every frame that opens.

Sponsored Links
i can fully agree with all of the above.

its quite old hat to put contacts on all windows and doors.

perimeter protection:
all doors leading out of the property

volumetric protection;
pir and or dual tech sensors to all rooms on ground floor.

also we would fit PA buttons to master bedroom, front door and rear door
and pir sensors to first floor master bedroom and upper hallway,

keypad to first floor and to lower main entrance area
(by the final door, so as it easy to unset when you come in)

and have you a garage?
if so you could have a couple of circuits there as well,
a dualtech sensor a roller contact (heavy duty magnetic sensor)
and one on the doors leading in and out

then you get onto whether you want it remote monitored ?
red care, dualcom, digicom red care gsm, or just your usual speech dialler, audible only.

so thats the basic

but find yourself some local companies, at least three, and get them to quote. ensurew they are registered with either NSI or SSAIB
(no offence to those who are not)

so thats about it really

other than how about maintenance ???

i will halt here and let you digest it all, if you need any further please post

John

Well Thanks for that John and the time to digest it along with my dinner, a lot of it makes sense but there surely has to be a limit before you employ a live in angel to watch over you.

The more I think about it the more I sway toward PIR's strategically sited along with door sensors including the attached garage, I also agree the PA's

The dialler system I wouldn't bother with as we are slightly out of town and a response time is well known as pathetic especially among the crowd who are likely to be the perpratators.

Cheers Mick.

If you've already got 12 sensors (is it a stately home?) you've already got the cable runs. Simply connect new sensors and new panel and a new siren unit - job done. Cost around £350. As far as PAs go - I've fitted over a thousand and none (as far as I know) have ever been used. It's supposed to be a home not a prison.

Hello Joe.

The other sensors covered some workshops, but in the house we have 8 covering all the rooms and directed toward the windows and french windows, even the bathroom with three windows is covered.
I wanted to ensure that the alarm was raised immediately there was an intruder.
Belt and braces and suspenders if you like.

Cheers Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back