Window replacement and alarm review

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've recently replaced the windows in my house due to old age. The outgoing windows were Aluminum and the replacements UPVC. During the replacement I had to remove the old alarm sensors fitted by the previous owner. Upon coming to refit them, I thought it might be time to review if the current sensor arrangement is still appropriate.

Downstairs was a window with double opener and shock sensor, back door with contact sensor and patio door with shock sensor. The patio door has been replaced like for like, the back door with a door containing an opening and the window for a single opener.

Upstairs a double opening window was replaced with a single opener, it had a shock sensor on it.

I understand when researching refitting the shock sensors that they can be less effective on UPVC due to it's more shock absorbing properties and some people suggested considering supplementing them with contacts on the openers?

I have a few questions:

1) Should I add contact sensors to things that open ie window openers and doors?
2) Should I retain the shock sensors?
3) Is it better to go with a separate shock sensor and contact sensor or consider a combined unit like the SHKC8M?
4) Is is worth adding a FG8M glass-break sensor to the area?
5) If a SHKC8M detects the contact opening and a shock, does that count as one sensor activation or two?
6) Can anyone suggest anything else that I may have missed, overlooked or that may be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back