Good Place to buy a kitchen

bought my kitchen units from focus. expensive/limited range of worktops though, so bought worktops from wickes, plinths from B&Q. sundries from screwfix.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
We let the guy in the shop use the computer to see what we needed

I guess if it was running Windows, your kitchen would be contantly falling apart, requiring constant upgrades, unhygenic (haven for viruses) and would require completely changing every 4 years :D

My Kitchen was in the X-Mas sales (noooo!) from MFI. Basic model set, then added a few glass cabinets, extra 1000mm corner base and worktop. All for £850.

Had a shuftie around e-bay and picked up a better sink and taps, some lights. In fact, if you compare/check prices e-bay is very handy for the bits. And you can sell the tat you don't want afterwards to get some cash back.

Fitting wise - if you can put a wardrobe together, you are in!
I built all the cabinets over a few weeks whilst i had the time, then got a friend around to help with the heavy bits (worktops etc). Done in a few days and it's my first kitchen! (Did need to buy the tools though!)

Quality-wise - the existing one was a Hygena also, but from 10 years ago. Quality wasn't that good. The fittings have changed a lot since then and the wood is slightly thicker. The old units used to sit on the floor, so they soaked up moisture. The new ones have plastic "feet" so are better.

:?: If they soaked up moisture from the floor then surely there is a damp problem that needs rectifying :confused:

Sponsored Links
AndersonC said:
:?: If they soaked up moisture from the floor then surely there is a damp problem that needs rectifying :confused:

Yes, damp mop problem i assume from the previous owners. Possibly the odd dishwasher/washing machine flood. Who knows. I wasn't talking about damp btw. :)

so guys, don't you recommend Ikea kitchens? I've been to B&Q, MFI & Homebase this weekend, but none of them impressed me!

I'm after a high gloss white kitchen set and budget set for this is £1000 (excluding appliances)

I'm not strictly a guy! :D And I don't fit any of these kitchens ... but I did a survey recently of the kitchens available from the big multiples.

IKEA was definitely the least expensive (apart, possibly, from Focus ... but their range of units is appalling and the carcasses are only 15mm with 3mm backs). IKEA quality seems to be quite good.

From a design point of view, what I didn't like about IKEA units was that the carcasses are always white - so with an oak kitchen (or any dark coloured door) you always see a strip of white here and there between the doors, especially at the corners. If you're after a white kitchen, though, I'd say IKEA would be fine.

Just bear in mind that the units don't have a void behind, for pipes and stuff, so it may be best to get extra deep worktop (but the guys would be able to tell you more about that!)

We are in the process of having a kitchen fitted by MFI, the cupboards are OK, pre-built, but not fantastically put together,

You can do as good if not better if you put a flat pack together and use polyurethane glue ( comes in a big cannister) and really sticks - i have done this with MFI wardrobes and you cannot tell the difference.

The kitchen prices in the sale DO NOT USUALLY INCLUDE THE EXTRAS - and this covers the doors. - remember however to offset the freebies against the cost of the kitchen, as if you wnat them anyhow then its all a saving ( things like free dishwashers) -

Price up applicances at tradeappliances.co.uk - we managed to get a pricematch

Dont take out the extended warrenties - the company that backs them does a beter deal direct if you need it.

Do remember that if you get the whole lot from MFI it does give you a lot of leverage in prices!.

finally - remember that the kitchen is only as good as the fitter - and a lot of the MFI ones ( including the one that did ours ) are a bit slapdash - they get this way because MFI just continually sends out spare panels and missing /damaged replacements.

One other thing, a good kitchen fitter who has the trade work, can get the same kitchen through howdens, at the same price - but howdens dont sell the doors for most of the mfi kitchens.

You could also get the kitchen from diykitchens.co.uk - but get a plan first and remember that you need to get a lot of extras on top of the carcasses, so it is difficult to order it yourself.

One final thing - MFI take all the money upfront ( final payment 4 weeks prior) this means that you have very little leverage when things go wrong as they have all your money - this means that you have to threaten lots of action very quickly if you have a problem - it pays to have used a credit card in this case to buy the goods !!!

I should also add that if you use one of the mfi fitters you will be shocked at how much extra the fitting charges will be - extra sockets, plumbing, appliance connections - light ( oh yes - they sell lights but not the transformers - go somewhere else for the lights!!!!!)

At the end of the day however its still worth it a new kitchen always looks great ( even if it does take two weeks instead of one & ytheres a 5 week wait for the granite worktops )

There's a chap in Sheffield does fantastic kitchens and quality is first class and prices are unbelievable , mainly because he works from home and has very few overheads , we've had about 25 kitchens off him so far , not a problem with any . ................. Top class bloke .

Hi,

I am looking to buy a kitchen in the next week or so and wondering what the best place is to go i.e MFI, Homebase etc I am looking to spend below a grand on a small kitchen and fit it myself. Can anyone rec anywhere i.e had a good experience, know of a sale etc (bw I am in Berks)

any advice

adam
m8 to be honest there isnt a lot between us all I would say homebase but thats who work for if you have any questions I will do my best and try not to be biest.lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back