Good quality primer for my front door

Sponsored Links
If its for the outside I wouldn't use the acrylic, I don't think it will expand and contract with the door as it gets hot and cold. Best use oil based. Is it a soft wood door or hardwood ?

If its for the outside I wouldn't use the acrylic, I don't think it will expand and contract with the door as it gets hot and cold. Best use oil based. Is it a soft wood door or hardwood ?
It"s hardwood

On hardwood the door needs a really good rub down and then a coat of Aluminium primer first. Leave that a couple of days and another rub down on that. Then apply two coats of decent oil based undercoat, rubbing down gently between coats. I use wet and dry at this stage with water to get a smoother finish. Then apply two coats of thinner gloss, using wet and dry after the first coat, giving a couple of days to harden the first coat. This should give you a good finish and decent protection.

Sponsored Links
On hardwood the door needs a really good rub down and then a coat of Aluminium primer first. Leave that a couple of days and another rub down on that. Then apply two coats of decent oil based undercoat, rubbing down gently between coats. I use wet and dry at this stage with water to get a smoother finish. Then apply two coats of thinner gloss, using wet and dry after the first coat, giving a couple of days to harden the first coat. This should give you a good finish and decent protection.
I wouldn't know a good primer hit me in the face :LOL: which one would you recommend? http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/dulux-trade-aluminium-wood-primer-1l.html http://www.tooled-up.com/product/ru...oductlisting&gclid=CMeGyMOsg7wCFWTlwgodFU0AHg http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...coat/Aluminium+Primer+1Ltr/d150/sd3006/p83972
I plan to use Farrow & Ball eggshell exterior paint to get a mat finish and the color i want. So I'm guessing I should follow your instruction and use the eggshell paint instead of the two coats of thinner gloss? Is that right?

Yeah that's ok. The only thing is that Eggshell isn't really an exterior finish and if in direct weather / sunlight may not last.
Most of the Aluminium primers are ok as long as they are oil based ones.

Yeah that's ok. The only thing is that Eggshell isn't really an exterior finish and if in direct weather / sunlight may not last.
Most of the Aluminium primers are ok as long as they are oil based ones.
Luckily my front door isnt too exposed so I may get away with eggshell finish. Thanks for your advice!

Depends on the quality of the acrylic primer undercoat. If it's retail then it won't be sufficient.

And also I advise anyone out there to never touch Farrow & Ball paint. It's over priced and bad quality paint. It's the equivalant of the bog standard paint you see on sale in B&Q but with a fancy advertising campaign, label and colour chart. They do not own those colours you cannot own a colour if it's a colour thing then just find it in another paint or go to a proper paint merchant and have them match it in another brand of paint. A trade brand not a flimsy retail brand

And also I advise anyone out there to never touch Farrow & Ball paint. It's over priced and bad quality paint. It's the equivalant of the bog standard paint you see on sale in B&Q but with a fancy advertising campaign, label and colour chart. They do not own those colours you cannot own a colour if it's a colour thing then just find it in another paint or go to a proper paint merchant and have them match it in another brand of paint. A trade brand not a flimsy retail brand
Fair point. Layland do farrow and ball equivalents. Is that a good alternative?

I will not use any acrylic primer/undercoat on external wood again.

I did once, and ended up having to redo the job again a year later.
following the above advice I plan to use oil based rustins aluminium primer and a rustins oil based undercoat. Would that do a good job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back